We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

Apparently I mistakenly packed for a months-long, multi-climate expedition rather than a couple of weeks in hot & casual Costa Rica. Lots - but not all - of the weight is in books I need while here but will be in no rush to receive back in the US. To avoid excess baggage fees on the return, I wonder if it would be cheaper to ship/mail stuff back. Nothing but the books is larger than a shoe box, and the "slow boat" is not a problem. Also, I can divvy up the stuff into many packages if that would help minimize the cost.

I'm in Santa Teresa now, so I'd be sending from around these parts.

Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

The least expensive option is Correos de Costa Rica - the Costa Rican post office. Ask at your lodging where the nearest office is to you.

With anything heavy, international shipping is always more expensive, of course, but the Correos will have the best price. However, depending on the weight, it might be not much more than excess baggage fees, depending on your airline.

Unfortunate you didn't find this forum before the fact rather than after....... (you are not alone - that's often the case) or that you didn't do just a tiny bit of research. But..... live and learn!

NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

Unfortunate, indeed. Unfortunate, too, that airlines are so merciless with baggage weight, and that there is no standard that applies to all. Would simplify one's planning.

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

why not donate the stuff to a local in need?

Just a thought,

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

Great idea Ballardo!

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

You have figure out if "the value" of the stuff is worth the expense of shipping it back home. Donating is a great idea. As far as baggage allowance goes airlines have to draw the line somewhere because if the airplane is too heavy it aint going to get off the ground. Passenger airplanes aren't designed for shipping ones household goods but rather a suitcase with clothing and maybe a pound of coffee.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

Not sure which airline you are on. I have flown AA and Spirit to Costa Rica. They never weighed my carry on. Since it appears from your post these are books you need, maybe some can be in the carry on. It is crucial that the airlines weigh checked baggage for passenger safety! I won't fly on any small regional flight unless they weigh the luggage AND the passengers. Too many horror stories about airlines who have ignored weight restrictions and resulting crashes. We have a Pilot in the family....

If you don't need any of the books in the future donating is always the way to go in my opinion. Since I often originate in S Florida I am amazed at the amt of luggage South/Central Americans as well as Europeans bring along. They use this as a place to shop for clothing and household goods due to the variety and price.

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

Weighing of carry on can be "slack". I've flown a certain airline several times sometimes they weigh carry on and attach a "cabin" sticker/tag and sometimes they dont and of course they have the metal frame to measure dimensions (lots of funny you tubes on this one).

8. Re: Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 22:06
Edited: 13 June 2013, 22:06
NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

I doubt anyone wants California bar exam study books, but I'll surely donate them in case - so long as I'm prepared to take the exam. ; )

NYC
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overpacked-least expensive option to return excess to USA?

Ballardo, sadly, I am the person in need. Que lastima.