We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car VS. Local Transportation

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car VS. Local Transportation

Not sure what the best option is for traveling around Costa Rica. We will be traveling not a lot but long distances. If you have traveled with local buses or rental cars, I would really like to know your feedback and experiences.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car VS. Local Transportation

Hard to even try to compare the comfort and convinience of driving your own car...for long or short distances...if you can get a rent a car!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

California
Level Contributor
303 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car VS. Local Transportation

I think it depends how comfortable driving in a foreign place you are. The roads can be very mountainous and twisty and turny. The trip we took we just had transportion between but I think I would be ok with my husband driving. I found the public transportation drive we took between San Jose and San Manuel Antonio very long and tiresome. I would have preferred my own car on that one. Between Arenal and Monteverde it is more convenient to take the boat so having a care takes twice as long. Assess your itinerary and see what looks good for you. I tend to want my own car so we can stop whenever something suits me.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car VS. Local Transportation

Like Bearette, I enjoy stopping when I want to, whether it is for a food stop, photo opportunity or bathroom break so I would opt for a car. If you are on a budget, then the local buses are cheap and on the whole reliable.

4. Re: Rental Car VS. Local Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:18