We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where's the chocolate?

Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
where's the chocolate?

I know it's grown here, because I've seen it at stores in the US. I'm not having any luck finding anything of quality here. I'd like to take some home as gifts- as well as enjoy a bit myself. Where should I be looking? I've struck out at the grocery stores and gift shops we've been to. Is there a particular region where it's more common? A brand to watch for? Help! There's aren't many coffee drinkers in my friends and family, but I know loads of chocoholics

I've seen a couple chocolate tours mentioned. Is the new one near Arenal the way to go? Again, not much interest in coffee, despite spending the next few weeks surrounded by plantations.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where's the chocolate?

The Caribbean coast has chocolate tours where you can go to the Bri Bri community and see their trees, suck the beans (sounds strange but they grow covered in a fruity substance inside the pod and local kids snack on it), see the processing and taste pure chocolate. They will sell you some in this form but there isn't a Costa Rica company that I know manufacturing Hershey's style processed chocolate - only this very dark natural form. I could be wrong. I have seen powder in Automercado though.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where's the chocolate?

Britt has a line of chocolate covered fruits, nuts and coffee beans etc. which might appeal. cafebritt.com/gourmet-chocolates-nuts-and-sw… I've seen these items available at higher end grocery stores such as Automercado and sometimes at the airport stores. Hope it helps!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where's the chocolate?

The Rainforest Chocolate Tour in Arenal is good. As are the cacoa plantation tours on the Caribbean.

If you're near the Central Valley, you owe it to yourself and friends and family to visit Sibu Chocolates and do their tour in Heredia.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where's the chocolate?

If you are looking for chocolates to take home, look for Britt as lisapuravida said. They have a really wide variety of chocolates and I always pick up some to take to my family when I visit the US. I try to stay with the more "authentic" chocolates such as chocolate covered coffee beans, orange, guayabo (guava), pineapple or macadamia - all of which grow in Costa Rica. They have bags of all sizes and varieties.

Except for these and whatever you can get from a chocolate tour, there really isn't much for "native" chocolate products.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where's the chocolate?

To add to the above, Cafe Cabure in Monteverde sells "homemade" chocolates. They are located on the road to the reserve. I stop there "for my wife" every time I go to MV.

There was also a place in Cariari near the Superfresh market that sells Costa Rican chocolates. Not sure if they are still open though as it has been better than a year since I have been in the area.

That said, Cafe Britt is a sure thing.

Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where's the chocolate?

Thank you. This is exactly the info I was looking for. I've seen Britt, but it's usually next to Toblerone and the like. I wasn't sure if it was just another import.

We are in the Central Valley. I'll have to look up Sibu Chocolates and their tour. Thank you.

7. Re: where's the chocolate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 06:18