We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm here, days 6 and 7, monkeys, coatis and the quetzal

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
I'm here, days 6 and 7, monkeys, coatis and the quetzal

Went back to the hot springs at Tabacon in the morning, enjoyed the springs, swim up bar and saw up first iguana in CR and the basilisk lizard there. Drove around the lake seeing a male coati right on the shoulder

. Stopped for lunch in Nuevo Arenal, stopped by the German bakery and then to Tileran and the dreaded 30 Km of dirt road. Most of it wasn't that bad and even the rougher section were not as bad as the road to hotel Chachagua south of Arenal. It took an hour on that section but the scenery is magnificent. We finally got here found the rustic lodge easily and walked into town for dinner where we ate in the tree house and reserved a guide for Monteverde reserve the next morning.

Woke up the earliest we have since we've been here and another couple's guide walked in and asked if we had seen the unicorn beetle outside the door. Of course we all walked right by it. I had seen pictures but it was huge. I held it, it now my new Facebook foto. Got to monteverde and realized we left our prepaid voucher at the hotel. It was either pay again and see if they would refund or drive back to the hotel. We charged forward. There were about three groups close together. Our guide located a hooded parrot and then the quetzal, there was a male and female in he area and we were able to see the male though partially blocked by the leaves. We got some good pictures taken though the guides telescope. It's time for our night tour so will finish this later.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm here, days 6 and 7, monkeys, coatis and the quetzal

The view of the Quetzal was a little obscured by foliage, but could make out the chest, head and tail feathers while it was sitting on a branch. Got some decent pics of it. Our guide was Bernald and he was very good at locating birds and animals, had good information about the area and the flora and fauna. He took a pic for us inside the strangler fig. We saw a type of blue jay, a nightingale and wild turkeys. We saw a large group of Coatis going to and back from he waterfall, with some playful babies. The guides all share info when they see something and we found out spider monkeys had been seen. A couple groups went to a spot that the monkeys were headed to. We only waited a few minutes and several came and were overhead for several minutes. One was sitting for a while and got some good pics of him. It was an incredible moment for us.

We enjoyed Bernald so much we went on his night tour later. It was raining and we had 4 groups of 8 so once again once one guide found and animal or reptile the rest of the groups would go look. We started the night by seeing a tarantula in its burrow, then a green toucan settled in for the night, scorpions, the dancing bird(forgot the name), an orange tarantula, a juvenile side stripe viper and later an adult viper. Porcupine and a kinkajou were spotted by others but were gone when we arrived. Ended the night watching a large sloth.

We had a very fruitful and enjoyable day. Tomorrow we leave for Samara.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm here, days 6 and 7, monkeys, coatis and the quetzal

good stuff sb, i'm enjoying reading your updates. there's a section of the lake road, not too far past the dam that always seems to have coatis hanging around.

when you get to samara, the the el manglar restaurant. across the street from it you'll find a concrete drainage pipe extending into the roadside ditch from under the road. when we were there a crocodile lived in it and always seemed to have just his head sticking out!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm here, days 6 and 7, monkeys, coatis and the quetzal

Snorkelboy, your reports are bettter each time. BTW, how could we enjoy your pics on FB? In 48 hours we will enjoy under the same sun on the same Nicoya peninsula!

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm here, days 6 and 7, monkeys, coatis and the quetzal

I sent you a pm.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm here, days 6 and 7, monkeys, coatis and the quetzal

SNorkel Bermuda ill be sure to check to see I'f the croc is still there, if I don't see his head ill send my wife down with a stick to poke around. Pura vida.

Dave

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm here, days 6 and 7, monkeys, coatis and the quetzal

Great reporting, sounds like your having a blast. Keep them coming!

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm here, days 6 and 7, monkeys, coatis and the quetzal

Thanks incabod, we enjoyed the rustic lodge in Monteverde that you had recommended. Was to be an uneventful day as we were driving to Samara, but we had an experience even better than Monteverde. Day 8 to be posted soon.

8. Re: I'm here, days 6 and 7, monkeys, coatis and the quetzal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 06:17