We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

Italy
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

Hi. My costa rica tour will start with Tortuguero and corcovado 3 day hike from/to P.Jimenez. I am really interested on whale whatching. I have also found a great lodge in drake bay whose location is truly great.

The question is: it is worth going to drake bay for these reasons and then rent a car in Sierpe? Should I go to Marino Ballena which is easier to reach, less in doubt (I cannot be sure the bus from La Palma to Drake will work that day) and rent a car directly in Puerto Jimenez?

Thanks,

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,133 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

If only for whale watching then Uvita / Marino Ballena is better option. Also because there are more tours to choose from. OTOH Drake Bay is a special place, different side of Corcovado. Tough choice.

Italy
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

Hi. So do you advice to go to Drake Bay (Finca Maresia)? How many days (we will have already visited Corcovado)?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,133 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

Carlo, it is difficult to give an advice. Personally, after hiking into Corcovado, I would stay a couple of nights in Uvita. There are some really cool places, to relax and unwind after all adventures in Corcovado. IMO staying there will allow you to decide about the whale watching more flexibly. I have not been (yet) in Drake Bay but have read enough in last 5 years to have a pretty good idea what it looks like. If not 110% into hiking and wildlife (I am only 95%) then stay in Uvita. But you would need a rental car. Solid rental car has an office in Puerto Jimenez, and you can drop it at San Jose (or near airport). Of course this decision is very much linked to your rest of the trip. What is your complete itinerary? One side note: in Puerto Jimenez do visit Pizza Mail.it. It is run by a couple of Trevisano persons, young and very friendly. I am sure they will appreciate a visit "from home". If you would like to make some more detailed questions, feel free to contact me via PM. Ciao e buon viaggio.

Italy
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

Thank you very much for all the informations!

After Tortuguero first, and Corcovado after, we would rent a Dahiatsu Bego and than visit (in addition to Drake or Uvita) San Gerardo de Dota (Savegre valley), Arenal, Guanacaste beaches.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,497 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

Just a short question...what time of the year you are planning to visit OSA peninsula??

roadadvisor

Italy
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

This August.

Italy
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

I have another idea.

5 Arrive in Puerto Jimenez

6 Los Patos - La Sirena

7 La Sirena

8 La Sirena, boat to Drake Bay

9 Whale watching tour, bus to Puerto Jimenez

10 Can rental, drive to S.Gerardo de Dota

Or

8 La Sirena - La Leona - Carate - Puerto Jimenez

9 Car rental, drive to Drake Bay

10 Whale watching tour, drive to Uvita

but maybe at that point it is better to skip drake bay and rest in Uvita.

Italy
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

What do you advice? Drake Bay hotel told me that I can reach Drake Bay both by car and by bus.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,133 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

Hopefully not too late. Yes, you can reach Drake Bay by car, if the rain allows crossing the rivers. Reports are that the road connecting to Drake Bay is in great condition. How ever, I would ask at Puerto Jimenez before departure. Your second itinerary is more feasible as there is no guarantee that you will be taken by boat from La Sirena to Drake Bay.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,781 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drake Bay vs Marino Ballena

The great thing about Drake Bay is that it provides a base for easy access to Corcovado by boat. The lodges focus daytrips on the San Pedrillo and Sirena stations as well as Cano Island. Yes there are other things to do there but if you are already planning a 3-day hike into Corcovado I think you'd be happier in Uvita than Drake Bay. Plenty to do around Uvita, beautiful beaches and wildlife and you can still head out whale watching. See options at uvitadream.com/what-to-do-whalewatching.php