We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Problem

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Topic
Passport Problem

I am flying to Costa Rica tomorrow night returning July 2nd and I just realized my daughters passport expires July 18, 2013. Do I really need to have a passport that is valid 6 months out? Help anyone have any knowledge of this being a problem

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Problem

If you are flying to Costa Rica tomorrow and your daughter's passport expires July 18, you have a SERIOUS problem.

At a MINIMUM - she needs a passport that is valid at least 90 days - which is the amount of time on the tourist visa. It is extremely doubtful that the airlines would let her board.

(Shaking my head over this........)

Really, your only choice is to delay your trip. Tomorrow, go to the passport facility in LA and get an "emergency" renewal. You should be able to get the passport renewed in one day.

The only other choice you have is to delay your trip and plan it for later in the year and you will have time to renew her passport through "regular" channels.

Otherwise - the only choice is to leave her at home! (Sounds cruel, doesn't it?)

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Problem

Thanks Hattie.

I had no idea I am not only shaking my head too, but about to scream. I just happened to get a travel book and read this information. I will head down to LA in the morning cross my fingers it works out. I hope they can do same day renewals. OMG

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Problem

Keeping several fingers crossed for you! Good luck with everything.......

You might want to take a look at the State Dept Passport website to be prepared.

Chumuckla, FL
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Problem

I'm going in Nov and mine expires in Jan. I emailedl the Consulate in Miami and this was their response. But Hattie usually has great advise. Hattie: do the airlines have their own rules about passports? I haven't traveled out if the US much, so I'm kinda clueless. Maybe you can call the number at the bottom of the email. Please let us know what you do/find out. I don't want my husband going alone!!

Hi Tina:

An US Citizen only need 1 day for passport expiration before entering Costa Rica.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo Rodríguez Cambronero

Cónsul

Consulado de Costa Rica en Miami

2730 SW, 3rd Avenue, Suite 401, Miami FL, 33129

Tel: 305-423 3952, Fax: 786-522 0119

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Problem

You have no problem at all HB Mona. US passport holders are only required to have a valid passport for 1 day after after you finish your trip. A 90 day valid passport used to be required, but that changed a couple of years ago, here are the official rules from immigration in Costa Rica migracion.go.cr/extranjeros/…20RESIDENTES.pdf , US passports holders belong to group 1 who only need a valid passport for 1 day . Your daughter is fine and good to travel to Costa Rica

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Problem

Having just spent a week with a similar issue, due to a custody and documentation problem, here's what I know about the situation:

1. If your kids passport has less than 90 days left on it one of several things can happen: The airline can deny you boarding because of the potential turnaround and associated DOT fine for when a passenger is denied entry to a foreign country; the airline can send you down and you can be denied entry into the country anyway; migracion in Costa Rica can just let her through, but its pretty unlikely. According to the CR migracion site, US is group 1, which means 90 days prior to expiration. Most companies will tell you 6 months to be safe because Costa Rica is not very good about updating information or notifying people when they change policy. Last year my passport was expiring in Aug, I went in may, I was about a week off of 90 days and was questioned but allowed in. They specifically told me that next visit, I would have to have my new passport.

2. There are US passport offices that can issue same day passports, it takes a couple of hours, but can be done. Go to travel.state.gov and look at the link for getting a passport within 2 weeks of a departure to a foreign country. You will have to call to make an appointment, these offices are appointment only. If you can't not get the automated system to work for tomorrow. make the first appointment they give you and then call back with your appointment confirmation number and get a representative to change the appointment time. You can not just show up. They can also issue a TEMPORARY passport as well if they can't process in time (ie: you get the app in after noon)

3. You will need proof of travel in the next two weeks - a confirmation from the airline is fine, but they need the confirmation number, itinerary or something like that and they'll keep it.

4. If your child is under 16, BOTH parents must be present to get the passport even if its a renewal. If one of you can't go, you must have the notarized consent form and a photo copy of the absent parents drivers license front and back. The form can not be notarized by a relative of the signatory or the applicant (found that out the hard way). The only other documentation they'll accept for an absent parent is a sole custody order. If you have joint custody, you need the consent form. the special circumstances portion of the form is worthless.

good luck!!!

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Problem

I'm Canadian, but it likely works the same...Hattie's advice is bang on. Without the renewal you'll almost certainly be turned away by the airline.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Problem

The ICT offer the following on their visitcostarica.com site. The last sentences mention that citizens of all countries must have a passport valid 6 months from the entry date to the country. Certainly, when this topic has been raised previously, my understanding was that this applied to US citizens too. A couple of years ago, clients of mine were held in the airport in Costa Rica and put on a flight straight back to the US as one of the couple didn't have a valid passport for a long enough period of time. Good luck!

>> Entry Requirements

Citizens holding valid passports from the following countries are permitted to stay in Costa Rica for 90 days without a visa:

Germany, Andorra, Argentina, Australia*, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Chile, Cyprus, Denmark*, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, United States*, Estonia, Finland, France*, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, México, Montenegro, Norway*, New Zealand*, Netherlands*, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Principality Of Monaco, San Marino, Puerto Rico, Serbia, South Africa, United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland **, Czech Republic, Republic Of South Korea, Hellenic Republic (Greece), Romania, Vatican City, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic Of China (Taiwan), Trinidad And Tobago and Uruguay.

* Their dependencies receive the same treatment

** Include England, Wales and Scotland

*** Starting on July 30, 2007, the Costa Rican authorities will demand that all travelers coming from the following countries (Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Bolivia, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador as well as the Republic of Guyana) have a yellow fever vaccination certificate.

Citizens holding valid passports from the following countries are exempt from all visa requirements for stays of 30 days in Costa Rica, though once inside the country, they can apply for extension from the Immigration office, for an authorized period of stay of 90 days:

Antigua and Barbuda, Belice, Bolivia, Dominica, El Salvador, Russian Federation, Phillipines, Fiji, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Northern Marianas, Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands, Kiribati, Maldives, Mauritius, Federated States Of Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Kingdom Of Tonga, Samoa, Saint Kitts And Nevis, Saint Vincent And The Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Sao Tome And Principe, Seychelles, Suriname, Tuvalu, Turkey, Vanuatu and Venezuela.

Citizens of all countries not listed above are required a visa from a Costa Rican embassy or consulate before traveling.

As in most of the countries, in order to visit Costa Rica, the traveler must show his or her passport. The passport must be valid during the following 6 months from the entry date to Costa Rica.

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport Problem

Hi Hattie:)

Thank you all for your responses it was a little sketchy getting in with that passport. The passport God's were wth us. The young lady working was reluctant but let us through woohoo! We are in CR now and loving it!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport Problem

Hoorah! enjoy your trip!