We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! I need advice on a good 2-night trip from La Fortuna.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! I need advice on a good 2-night trip from La Fortuna.

Hello all,

My daughter and I are currently mid-vacation in Costa Rica, and so far all of the advice and places we've visited have been fantastic. Big thumbs up for Tortuguero and especially Puerto Viejo. Anyway, we're just wrapping up a couple of days in La Fortuna/Arenal and as of tomorrow we have some open days before we leave for home. So my question: given the 3-day/2-night window that we have, and our current location of La Fortuna, what would be a cool trip to add to our Costa Rica adventures?

Options we've discussed: staying close and doing MonteVerde, or arranging transportation and heading for either Montezuma/Mal Pais/St Teresa or maybe Jaco/Playa Hermosa.

Honestly, I'm open to any option and would love advice on destination, hotel, and/or transportation.

Thanks!!! -James

Mentioned in this post
Playa Hermosa
Playa Hermosa
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! I need advice on a good 2-night trip from La Fortuna.

We'll be in La Fortuna later this year before heading to Uvita....ck out "whale's tail" area for some awesome scenery and things to do on the S Pacific Coast.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,571 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! I need advice on a good 2-night trip from La Fortuna.

Three days/2 nights including travel time? Forget about Montezuma/Malpais as it takes a full day to get there rom Arenal and a full day to get back (unless you fly back from Tambor to San Jose). Sounds to me like your best options, assuming your flight is out of San Jose, are Monteverde for 2 nights, whitewater rafting on the Pacuare with an overnight on the river, or 2 nights in the Turrialba Valley near the Pacuare River. From Turrialba you can take a day trip to the top of Irazu Volcano which is pretty impressive as well as check out the Orosi Valley, archaeological ruins at Guayabo National Park and visit the city of Cartago.

Mentioned in this post
Pacuare River
Pacuare River
112 Reviews
Costa Rica
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! I need advice on a good 2-night trip from La Fortuna.

Possibly Alajuela area? Poas NP and volcano, Doka coffee tour, Zoo ave and ARA Project. This could nicely fill up a couple of days without having to travel too far. There's also central park and the market to check out. Cartago/Orosi tour as suggested would also be a great option.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,090 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! I need advice on a good 2-night trip from La Fortuna.

I will go in your case to Monteverde...and of course if you like to spend time riding buses or cars...and then a ferry...Montezuma is a good option...if you match the ferry time that nwill be about 4.5 hours from Arenal to Montezuma...nice ride and great boat ride...

roadadvisor

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! I need advice on a good 2-night trip from La Fortuna.

I am one who enjoys the Central Valley not far from SJO. Alturas De Puriscal for a finca stay and horseback ride in the country. Great Place with a pool, spotless rooms and great home style cooking! Zoo Ave was a fun 3 hour stop. Toucan Rescue Ranch is a place I hope to visit and stay enjoying the awesome people who help rehabilitate birds and animals of Costa Rica. All close to the airport. If you want to take it easy and not rush around I would head to the Central Valley. While many Posters do not like San Jose I found it a great place to wander around the Central Mercado, enjoy fresh fruit shakes and pick up some great deals! Not saying I would go there at night but it was quite safe in daylight in my experience.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! I need advice on a good 2-night trip from La Fortuna.

Another vote for Turrialba-Orosi-Cartago.

7. Re: HELP! I need advice on a good 2-night trip from La Fortuna.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 06:19