We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leave in a month for the Caribbean side!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Leave in a month for the Caribbean side!

I'm starting to get very excited now! After tweaking the itinerary a bit, we're doing 4 nights in Cahuita (Playa Negra Guesthouses), three nights in Punta Uva (Korrigan Lodge), and then 2 nights in Tortuguero (Tortuga Lodge, which now offers a room only rate fyi).

We're definitely planning a 1/2 day fishing trip with Wahoo and a visit to the Jaguar Rescue Center. And of course the national park in Cahuita. Any other must-do activities or restaurant recommendations? We're a family of 4, with two kids ages 10 and 13, and will not have a car.

Also, can you snorkel in the shallow part of Punta Uva? My kids are not the most confident swimmers and won't want to venture too far out. Will they still be able to see anything?

Thanks!

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leave in a month for the Caribbean side!

One of the nicest restaurants is near Korrigan, El Refugio. Other restaurants not far are Pita Bonita (Middle Eastern) and Jungle Love. Selvin's is great for Caribbean food. I would certainly go zip-lining, you and kids will love that. If conditions are good, you can snorkel from Arrecife, which happens to be closest to where you are staying and you can talk to Janet and Nick (Wahoo) to see if they can split fishing with a good safe snorkelling spot from the boat.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leave in a month for the Caribbean side!

The snorkeling at Punta Uva is on either side of the point and is highly dependent on wave height. Much more luck close to the rocks on the point on the north side so, unless it is a quiet day, might not be a good idea for the kids. You could let them snorkel with life preservers on if the waves are not high.

Sounds like a great trip. Wish I was coming along. For more fun you could contact Abel Bustamante for a hike south into the Gandoca Manzanillo Reserve. If you're at Punta Uva on a Sunday it can be fun to head down to Manzanillo and hang out at the beach there where there will be lots of local families out and you can eat at Maxi's. Snorkeling is also possible at Manzanillo but you have to swim out to the reef and be careful about breaking waves.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leave in a month for the Caribbean side!

Maybe you and your kids would enjoy a waterfall trip. It isn't great with really little ones but 10 and 13 year olds would probably like climbing over rocks to go for a dip in a waterfall pool. Volio or Bri Bri are the best spots and unless you are renting a car, it is probably easier to go with a guide.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leave in a month for the Caribbean side!

Thank you all for the valuable information. I greatly appreciate it. I know we're going to have a wonderful trip!

5. Re: Leave in a month for the Caribbean side!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:18