We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Leona, CR Trip in Early August with KIDS!!!

Union City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Leona, CR Trip in Early August with KIDS!!!

Hi,

We are a couple weeks away from our trip to CR. This will be the first time any of us are going there. We are staying in Punta Leona at a private villa, gated community. While trying to map our where we are, I cannot find us on the map. I guess since they say we are about 30 mins away from Jaco...I was using that as my benchmark.

Now we have 5 couples and each couple has 1 child (age ranging from 8 months - 4 yrs) and 2 of the mothers are pregnant. So I guess we had a couple of questions and would like any feedback / suggestions on things for us to do given the fact that lugging around kids / strollers / child seats, etc is not an easy task. We at a minimum want to plan out 3 days: one as a group, one for the ladies to go out and one for the men since someone has to stay home with the kiddies!

1. I was told my our management company to visit Manual Antonio National Park. Now would this be a full day event? I heard since its rainy season that it rains everyday starting around 2pm. If that's the case, should we only go half the day? If so, would we be able to cover much in terms of attractions there? I know they have a beach and tours. Not sure if we have time to do everything. Also, we are not renting a car since we were told that most of these tours provide transportation as well.

2. Ladies night out: any suggestions given we have 2 preggers?

3. Guys night out: the guys mentioned Hot Springs but I was told the closest one is 5 hrs away. That seems like a waste of an entire day if that's the case.

Any other things that's a must see in the area that is family friendly? I know we will be staying at the villa mostly since we have our own pool but would like to go to the beach a couple times if possible. Is it true that the closest beach is really rocky? Any recommendations on that front?

Are there any other things we need to be aware of?

- I was told water is good for drinking but since we have such young infants, would that be applicable to them or should we get a large supply of bottled water?

- Also how are the produce in the area? I know probably not organic but if they are local than it cannot be that bad. Looking to buy supply so that the kids can have fresh fruit and veggies to eat since they are all mostly on solids now.

- Any activity places for just kids? Do you recommend massage services that come to the private homes? Are those reliable?

- I saw a post about mosquitoes which is a big topic from my group since we have young kids. No doubt we will bring repellent but we mostly have the natural / organic repellent so have you heard weather those are even useful? DEET is harmful to the children so don't think that is an option.

- How's the weather besides the rain? Is it humid, really hot, breezy?

- Finally, my husband and I are renewing our vows so any recommendation on cakes, photographers, etc around the area? My mgmt company is doing some research but wanted to see if there are any recommendations out there.

Thanks so much in advance and sorry for the many questions.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Leona, CR Trip in Early August with KIDS!!!

I think Manuel Antonio is still a great idea because they do have lovely beaches and wildlife, but hopefully you will see some wildlife around Punta Leona too. It may or may not rain, and it may or may not start around 2:00! Sometimes it's 3:00, sometimes it's 5:00. Just go for it! It will still be warm! Start early in the morning to avoid as much rain as possible. Have you looked at Vacation Buggy? That would be a fun day for your group, although they won't pick you up where you are staying. You'll have to take transportation to get there. Look at Rancho Los Tucanes for transportation and tours.

http://www.rancholostucanes.com/

For ladies, why not a spa day and nice dinner? Villa Caletas is super close and very, very nice.

For the guys, how about some fishing?

The beach at Punta Leona is rocky but not in Jaco.

Water is fine to drink for everyone and produce will be available in every store, lots grown locally.

That's about all I can help you with but I hope it helps!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Leona, CR Trip in Early August with KIDS!!!

Forgot to mention the Jungle River/ Crocodile adventure would be a nice tour for everyone in your group. Very mellow, but fun!

Union City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Leona, CR Trip in Early August with KIDS!!!

Thank you for the tips! Will definitely look into it.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Leona, CR Trip in Early August with KIDS!!!

Oh lots of good questions! Manuel Antonio National Park ... I think you would enjoy a guided tour (educated guide with scope) which lasts about 2 1/2 to three hours. Go early and if you choose to, return to the park to enjoy the beaches within the park at your leisure. There are public beaches outside the park also. I would plan a full day there (daylight hours). All good suggestions above, love the ladies day at Villas Caletas and of course, sportfishing out of Los Suenos for the guys. You'll find plentiful veg/fruit markets. There is a feria on Friday a.m. in Jaco (next to the soccer field). The Green Room Cafe in Jaco has an organic!!! market on Wed. afternoon and Sat. a.m. (call first). Dining out: for gourmet in Jaco, Graffiti and Lemon Zest (dinner only) and The Green Room Cafe (organic food on the menu) Within the Los Suenos resort, many people enjoy Bambu (Asian) and La Lanterna (Italian). SO many dining options in the area, too many to list! For vow renewal (flowers, desserts, etc) I highly recommend Cacao Lounge in Jaco. Wherein they have a chocolate, dessert, coffee etc. restaurant, they also do weddings and vow renewals. If you are in Jaco Beach, stop by their shoppe (you will NOT be disappointed) and speak with Marianna or Clint. They have a Facebook page also. Weatherwise, low 90's in the day, mid 70s at night. Can't say if it's humid compared to NY but you'll enjoy a cooling seabreeze on the water. Rain showers mid afternoon, maybe thru the night but it cools things off and is quite refreshing. Enjoy! Hope it helps! (You might also consider a private chef for one night at your rental. I've enjoyed Chef Bruno and also Jair with Global Cuisine.)

5. Re: Punta Leona, CR Trip in Early August with KIDS!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:18