We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel reservation requirements

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Hotel reservation requirements

Hi,

I have a question about the reservation process, which seems to vary quite a bit from place to place...

As I think can be expected for the time of year we are traveling, one of the hotels is requesting payment up front. But along with a credit card authorization form, they are asking for a front/back copy of the credit card AND a copy of my ID. I am not sure I want to send all that info as an attachment in an email, if at all. Any thoughts on this? It has nothing to do with whether or not I trust the hotel (it is one that is widely recommended by CR experts on TA,) I am just nervous about identity theft in transmittal. Let me know if this is standard, or if I do in fact have reason to question this...

Thank you!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel reservation requirements

I prepaid for 2 of our hotels on our recent trip and neither asked for that information to be sent. When you check in they will ask to see your passport but I never had to show my ID. Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you. That would have me concerned too.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel reservation requirements

Some Hotels Need to do that to confirm that your signature on the form is the same so they need the copy of the Id. I have been asked for this too, not only here but in other countries. It has to do with the bank in Costa Rica that asks to have that information as Profe of purchase in case you decline payment.

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel reservation requirements

That makes sense. So what constitutes ID? I was thinking driver's license but I wonder if there is another type I could use with less of my info on it.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,109 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel reservation requirements

I am most definitively NOT sending both passport/ID and c/c scans via email. As OP has said, not that a hotel could not be trusted. But these are sensitive info, one never knows where they might ended. For example, a hard disk of hotel's PC dies. It is replaced, old one taken by one that has knowledge how to retrieve info from a dead hard disk (and it is way more easier then people think). I can send the photocopy of my passport (in fact, one is on my email all the time, just in case original is lost or taken away) but for c/c if needed I have called hotel and told them whatever they need to hear. If hotel would not be happy with that, then I am looking for another accommodation. Just my 2 colones.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel reservation requirements

You should be able to make your reservation using only your credit card number. Showing your passport or ID or the physical credit card should be necessary only when you are actually there.

I know there are hotels who require this, but I never book with them. If you are having this problem and you really want to book at that hotel, try one of the booking agents such as www.anywherecostarica.com or email the hotel and tell them you will only provide your credit card number.

I was trying to book a shuttle for my granddaughter and I recently and the business wanted me to print a form, fill it out and the FAX it to their office. Well........ no. I emailed them to ask for alternatives but they were steadfast about that form -- so I just booked with another company.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel reservation requirements

Faxes are much more secure than email. If you don't want to put the information in an email, a fax is the way to go. Or encrypted email. Or use a different hotel.

This request for information isn't that rare at all. I get it a lot when dealing with Costa Rican, Caribbean and South American companies. The vendor is at the mercy of their credit card company or bank, who sometimes require this information.

But, NEVER, EVER, EVER send passport information. No one requires this.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
169 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel reservation requirements

You do not need to send them a copy of your CC or ID. All they need is the CC authorization form filled out and your CC number to reserve the room. They'll check your ID when you get there. Dont send any ID copies. Enjoy your trip!

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel reservation requirements

Thanks everyone. After expressing my discomfort with sending along that much info, the hotel first stated their privacy policy and asked for it again, then when I said I would prefer to then either go through an agent or try another hotel they said all was OK and the reservation is now guaranteed.

I am sure that having the information truly does protect the hotel and that they must have to weigh every day how strictly they are going to enforce that request. Had they not backed down for me I would have happily booked the same hotel through an agent (great suggestion, Hattie!), as I assume that protects everyone? This is the first time in my planning that I have seen how there could be an advantage to using a third party for bookings. But as it turns out, it all worked out fine.

Thanks again everyone!

Edited: 19 July 2013, 04:38
9. Re: Hotel reservation requirements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 07:17