We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from UK - Managing cash

bristol
Level Contributor
99 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Coming from UK - Managing cash

Hi everyone,

Coming to Costa Rica in November from UK.

We have VISA DEBIT cards, is it worth organising a CREDIT card for our holiday? Would it make life easier?

I know we can pay for things in US dollars, but should we just stick to bringing Colones from UK?

Thank you for your help.

Jan

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,025 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming from UK - Managing cash

No need to bring colones from UK. Just have your VISA debit card and use it to withdraw colones from ATM's, and to pay at hotels and restaurants and tour operators. Some of the ATM machines can give you also US$, if you will feel to pay in that currency (some of prices of tours are listed in US$ so there is no hassle of calculating the conversion rate if using a currency in which the price is listed). You will need your c/c only if renting a car, for deposit purposes. A debit card can be also used, but in such case money will be taken from your account, and returned back a few days after you will return the car (some says 5-10 working days).

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming from UK - Managing cash

I would also think a cc is useful not only for renting a car, but also for deposit at the hotel to open up your account. Remember some hotels will put a hold on your card when you check in and it is a problem if you put in your debit card, same as xelas just explained for the rental car. In my experience, when I worked at a rental car, if you use your debit card for the "hold" it takes more than a month, and sometimes even longer, for the bank to return the money to the card holder. It just depends on the bank, but 5-10 working days is a very optimistic time frame, but it doesnt usually happen. Good luck.

3. Re: Coming from UK - Managing cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 05:16