We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle/taxi vs. rental car

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle/taxi vs. rental car

I'm planning a trip to CR next month for 2 people.

My trip will be Liberia to Playa Conchal to Arenal to San Jose within a span of 7 days. I'm trying to budget for the trip and considering a rental car vs. shuttle/taxi. The rental car would strictly be for travel between cities. Once we are in a particular place we do not plan on moving around that much aside from excursions provided by the hotels we are staying at.

Anyone with experience traveling in Costa Rica with advice as to which option to choose? I have no aversion to driving in CR, just want to consider the more economical option.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,044 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle/taxi vs. rental car

In your case I would go for shuttle transport, no need to worry about a car iy you are not planning to fully use it.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
331 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle/taxi vs. rental car

I agree with Xelas. If it's just to transfer, it is easier to take a shuttle.

But if you plan to use it during all your trip, well, it could be a great option, for more freedom, a little bit cheaper too. But you have to plan some time for car reservation. It suggest to take the insurance too. So, just do the count, which one is cheaper and stress less for you.

Enjoy!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle/taxi vs. rental car

Thanks for the replies!

I like the idea of the car and freedom but since the trip is going to be so jam packed there likely will be little time to do off the cuff random excursions in the car. Plus, given our itinerary I'd hate to spend the short time we have in CR waiting at car rental desks on the day of arrival and departure.

Mostly I was considering car rental if it would be significantly cheaper. As it is, the piece of mind and opportunity cost of time (i.e. can do other things like read, sleep, truly enjoy the countryside) provided by the shuttle will likely tip me over towards the shuttle vs. rental car.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle/taxi vs. rental car

The shuttle is very convenient but you can expect prices of $45 - $60 per person for each of the transfers. Add to that the cost of local taxis and I'm not too sure it is very much more "economical" but certainly is easy if you don't plan on doing any exploring on your own.

5. Re: Shuttle/taxi vs. rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 05:16