We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walmart in Alajuela

Ottawa
Level Contributor
315 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Walmart in Alajuela

So I can't actually believe I'm asking this - but is there a walmart or walmart type store in Alajeula?

We are there for two days before heading to Arenal and Tamarindo (1 rest/organization/rental car day and 1 day trip to Poas area) and wanted to pick up some supplies rather than lugging it down in our suitcases. Mostly we want to pick up some baby supplies - diapers, wipes, etc. That stuff can really fill up and weigh down a suitcase! Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walmart in Alajuela

Just 3 minutes from SJO is WALMART...next to MArriot Courtyard...big WALMART!!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,995 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walmart in Alajuela

A blight on the fine landscape, but yes...

There is one in Alajuela and one in Escazu that I know of.... Awful place full of florescent lighting, labyrinths of useless crap at bargain prices...

They have what your after...

Pequeno Mundo on the other hand is AWESOME... This is the equivalent and one of my favorite places to shop for things I need and don't need.

In all seriousness, good plan buying that stuff here to save space. - Cheers

Edited: 02 August 2013, 22:39
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walmart in Alajuela

You can easily buy any and all of those things at any of the large supermarkets. There's quite a few of them in the Alajuela area and also in Tamarindo and Liberia.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
337 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walmart in Alajuela

Yes, there is a Walmart. You will probably see it as your plane lands since it is very close to the airport. There are all sorts of large supermarkets that will carry baby supplies. Don't know how the other stores' prices compare to CR Walmart prices since I wasn't looking for baby items, and for some reason I couldn't bring myself to shop in Walmart in CR (or eat in McDonald's). :) You won't have any problem finding what you need.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walmart in Alajuela

Frankly, it's really sad to me that as you arrive in Costa Rica, the two things that "stick out" are the Marriott and the WalMart. You might be checking your ticket to make sure you took the right flight!

Of course, when you land at LIR Liberia, there is less of everything there - but there's still that big Hilton Garden Inn to welcome you!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
315 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walmart in Alajuela

Thanks, wanted to make sure we can get what we needed in Alajeula without having to trek into San Jose. As I mentioned, it pretty much breaks my heart to have to venture into a supermarket of any sort on my first day in CR but diapers and wipes take up an incredible amt of space! Thanks all.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walmart in Alajuela

You are WELCOME... please enjoy our country and WALMART!!

roadadvisor

Edited: 03 August 2013, 02:23
Ottawa
Level Contributor
315 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walmart in Alajuela

Haha, I'm sure I will love CR and hate your Walmart as much as I hate ours ;)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walmart in Alajuela

Not to mention Sam's, Mas por Menos, and Pali. - All part of Walmart Centroamerica. So WalMart certainly has Costa Rica, (and most other Central American countries) very heavily covered.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walmart in Alajuela

Which is why I always shop at Super Compro! Walmart-free.