We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

Hello!

I have been looking into spending some time in Costa Rica, however, I will need to work to fund myself. I am hoping to start an adventure of travelling, and working in place to place to fund my living expenses!

Is it possible to work legally in Costa Rica as a British Citezen? Or to work very casually and make some money to fund basic living? I have beauty therapy skills and qualifications FYI.

Also I am very open to suggestions on other countries that will be easier to live and work in for a while!

Thanks in advance :)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

You cannot just come to Costa Rica and get a job legally. For that, you need to have a work permit (employers must get this and a work permit is very difficult to get) or have permanent residency (which takes several years).

It would be better for you to look at other countries such as Nicaragua or Guatemala.

I'm not quite sure what "beauty therapy skills" means - but you should understand that every culture in every country is different and people working in various types of businesses must understand the culture of what they are doing.

Still, it's great to have adventures and I hope you can find a suitable place. I don't think Costa Rica is it.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 13:31
London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

Have you tried Escape the City?

Depending on your level/type of qualifications I know they've advertised posts in CR. A web coder/programmer was one from memory.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

Hard now days to find a job....but some bars and restaurants sometimes they hire casual workers...of coursecI agree with Hattie...

Roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

Check out the book The Legal Guide to Costa Rica...it has a lot of great information on what is legal, not, etc. The basics are that you cannot just come and take a job away from a local, it's the basics of what the law is (the most simplistic way to say it). What you CAN do is to work remotely (via computer) for people overseas, call centers, etc so you'd be making money but you're not actually working in Costa Rica....just something to think about! Enjoy your time here! :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

My son is teaching english as a foreign language out there at the moment. Google tefl heaven for details.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

Keep in mind that English teachers here are a "dime a dozen." And most of them illegal.

What usually happens is that someone with TEFL certification is hired but not only are the wages low and often few hours per week, but there's no one to complain to because.... you're illegal!

If "tefl heaven" provides work permits, it would be very unusual - but always possible, of course. The better jobs are at private schools and they are pretty strict about who they hire.

You cannot legally work on a tourist visa - unless you work over the internet as described.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

Everything is above board with them, salary/working hours/length of contract agreed before leaving UK, training etc and working in private schools as foreigners are not allowed to take the jobs a local could do.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

Not sure why Hattie is putting such a downer on this.

Opportunities are very highly publicised all over the world and with very reputable companies that sort out all the finer details and legalities. When I went to work in the States the agency that placed me sorted all my work visas etc, as did the companies that placed my friends who've recently gone to Laos and Cambodia. It really is not that unusual at all.

Check out TEFL heaven and go for it, sure it'll be a great experience!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

You've been advised of the difficulties and legalities. I would also hope you consider the moral issue of taking a job away from a local who may need it to feed his or her family. Like others, what are beauty therapy skills? Yes, there are openings for English teachers at a variety of pay scales. Schools do want native speakers as that is what their students demand. You might need to work at more than one school to get enough hours. Most lucrative is to get private students. That takes time. Someone mentioned casual bar work. That might happen in a tourist oriented bar. You gotta be cute and able to wiggle it. But you also have to be careful where you work. I assume you know that providers are legal in Costa Rica. So while the Blue Marlin Bar in the Del Rey Hotel has a largely gringo clientle it is probably not some where you would wish to apply.

You ask about other countries. In what areas? Just Central America? Just latin america? Do you have other skills? With the right skills anything is possible.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possibities to work in Costa Rica? Any advice welcome!

David: As I said, I'm trying to point out that you can't just come to Costa Rica and get a job. If an organization provides a legal job with work permit and all, that's one thing. But to just show up and hope someone will hire you illegally is not only dumb, it's not right. If caught, you can be detained and deported and not even allowed to go to your room to gather your stuff. Also, an employer can be fined a year's worth of the illegal employee's salary.

Typically, only people with some kind of special skill are able to get work permits. They are difficult to get and costly. I know of one lady from the US who is a degreed and experienced science teacher and she easily found a job but six months later, she is still without her work permit.

And yes, you can find foreigners working illegally at restaurants and bars - but it's still illegal.

Costa Rica is no different from any other country, such as England, that has an "immigrant problem."