We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Liquor Store

Claremont, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free Liquor Store

We are arriving at the San Jose Airport at 6:00 a.m. What time do the duty free stores open. We would like to purchase our alcohol before we leave the airport. We heard they have better prices.

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
282 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free Liquor Store

Not sure what time the store opens, but in July I stopped in the one near baggage claim upon arrival. I was glad to have brought my liquor with me from the US. Much less expensive in Virginia than the duty free at SJO.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free Liquor Store

According to the San Jose airport the Duty Free by the gates (Britt Shop) opens at 5am and closes at 10pm. The Duty Free in the luggage claim area, opens at 5am and closes at 9pm. I always go to this one so I can grab the goods while I'm waiting for my luggage and don't have to lug them through the airport. :-) Definitely about 50% off what you'll find outside the airport so stock up! :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free Liquor Store

Well, you must have some good prices in Virginia. Although, I bet you can't get a bottle of Santa Teresa 1796 for $27 in Virginia... Either way, as Villa H says, the prices in Duty Free are way better than those elsewhere in Costa Rica...

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free Liquor Store

I don't know your particular poison. But if you are a rum drinker Central America produces a couple of great ones. Most likely they will be in the duty free. Next door Nicaragua is home to Flor de Cana. Several types but the best is the 7 year old of the ones commonly found. There is also an 18yr old Flor de Cana but you don't see it often. Zacapa, Guatemala is home to Zacapa rum. The Centenario is 26 years old. You sip it neat like cognac. Prices? Duty free shops are real bargains for Europeans. For the above mentioned they are alot cheaper than at home. But for stuff like Scotch I find in most I can do better at Bev and Mo or Costco. Of course now you gotta watch the weight. Soon we will be paying for carryon.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,607 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free Liquor Store

At 6am...in theory some duty frees stores are open... at SJO

6. Re: Duty Free Liquor Store

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:23
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question