We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation question--Arenal/Monteverde/Osa

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation question--Arenal/Monteverde/Osa

Thanks to everyone for the advice I've received thus far. I think I have settled on Arenal, Monteverde and Osa/Bosque del Cabo for our first trip to Costa Rica in December. I would love some advice on how best to organize transportation between the destinations, and what order makes the most sense. We will arrive into SJO very early (6:30 AM) and will depart from SJO early (8 AM), so will plan to spend last night near the airport. I am not keen on driving ourselves between the locations so will plan to arrange a driver, and do plan to fly to Osa. I think I would like to have either arenal or BdC be our last stop (not monteverde), but can go otherwise if the transport makes more sense. thank you in advance for any advice!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation question--Arenal/Monteverde/Osa

Since you arrive early...you can fly to Puerto Jimenez that morning...and get a transfer from PJ to your hotel...if you can get a cab in PJ...a lot cheaper than the high prices the hotel charge ...plenty nice big 4x4 taxis around...

Then back to San Jose and keep going..

Roadadvisor

Edited: 20 August 2013, 15:15
Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation question--Arenal/Monteverde/Osa

I always like to finish my trip at the beach, so I would probably start with Arenal first since is a easier drive than Monteverde after your long flight.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,450 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation question--Arenal/Monteverde/Osa

Have you booked your room at Bosque del Cabo? I would check to make sure they have availability.

Logistically, it would make the most sense to go to Bosque del Cabo first, since the early arrival allows you to catch a morning flight to Puerto Jimenez.

BUT, to be quite honest Arenal is going to seem like something of a letdown after Bosque del Cabo. That's not a knock on Arenal, it's just that the Osa is unlike anything else in CR--really special place. Monteverde is so different you'll appreciate the contrast (and the break from the heat/humidity of the Osa).

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation question--Arenal/Monteverde/Osa

Agree with Racandee on the natural beauty of Osa, but they don't have the adventure tours,the hot springs, and the vocano views that Arenal has.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation question--Arenal/Monteverde/Osa

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I have checked with BdC, though it was a few days ago as I was still putting everything together and they did have availability. Hopefully they still have room for us! I think I will do BdC first, for the logistical reasons Racandee mentions, and we are very excited about being in the Osa. We understand Arenal will be a a different type of experience, but we are looking forward to doing some of the adventure tours and the hot springs, as Cubanon says. I think my kids will enjoy finishing with that part of the trip. It looks like we will do BdC, then Monteverde, and end in Arenal. Thank you for all your helpful suggestions.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation question--Arenal/Monteverde/Osa

You are WELCOME...please enjoy our country as we natives do!!

roadadvisor

7. Re: Transportation question--Arenal/Monteverde/Osa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 06:21