We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtles in Tamarindo - Late Sept

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
80 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Turtles in Tamarindo - Late Sept

Hi dear Tripadvisors!

I'm planing my trip to Costa Rica.

I'll be traveling the country from Sept 18th. till October 6th.

I saw in this map that the nesting season of the turtles in the Tamarindo region begins at October:

www.anywherecostarica.com/maps/turtle-nesting

On the other hand, I read that the north-pacific coast of Costa Rica is the rainiest part of the country in Sept. (which is quite rainy for itself...).

Therefore, I wanted to ask for your recommendation: Should I dedicate time in the trip itinerary to visit Tamarindo and Santa Rosa National Park, or is it a waste of time, considering the weather?

Thanks,

Yigal.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtles in Tamarindo - Late Sept

Leatherback turtles generally do not begin nesting at Playa Grande until the end of October. You would be better off going further south to Ostional or Camoronal to see olive ridley turtles which should be nesting in full swing. Here is a link to a page with good information on when the odds will be best: costa-rica-guide.com/travel/index.php… Looks like the first week of October will be your best time.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtles in Tamarindo - Late Sept

Agree with prior post...100% more chances Ostional or even Playa Grande...since many people are all night some times and all day...most turtles do not arrive at Tamarindo...some do but not many!

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtles in Tamarindo - Late Sept

Regarding rain, the further north you go in Costa Rica the less rain chances, so your plan on Tamarindo/Rincon is not as bad as you have heard. Will there be rain? Yes, probably, but you should have some sun too! Go. Enjoy!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
80 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtles in Tamarindo - Late Sept

Hi guys!

Thanks for the information!

It is very helful.

Yigal.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
80 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtles in Tamarindo - Late Sept

Again, thanks for your kind answers.

It seems like we're going to plan our trip in a way we'd get to tamarindo as late as possible, around october 4th-5th.

Is it better to go to Tortuguero to see the turtles or to Ostional (meaning - pacific or caribbbean side)?

THANKS a lot for your help, guys :)

Yigal.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtles in Tamarindo - Late Sept

OSTIONAL turtles almost every night all year long!

roadadvisor

7. Re: Turtles in Tamarindo - Late Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 07:19