We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Night and Shuttle Question

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
239 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
First Night and Shuttle Question

Our flight is booked for the middle of Nov and we land around 2PM at SJO.I was thinking of looking for a B&B in Alejuela for the first night before we head to Arenal. However, I'm finding it difficult to get a shuttle from Alejuela to Arenal. They seem to run between San Jose and Arenal. Am I missing something here or should I change plans? I had also thought of getting a driver at the airport and going straight to Arenal, even though it makes for a long day. Any input would be most appreciated. Thankyou.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Night and Shuttle Question

If you look at "San Jose to Arenal," you will see that a lot of the pickup hotels are actually in Alajuela. Not all of the hotels are listed and for some of them, you will need to take a taxi to a nearby hotel or some place like Denny's for a pickup.

You can also just email them and ask about getting picked up at the hotel or B&B you choose. With the Interbus website, you can actually type in the name of the hotel where you want to get picked up. They will send you an email confirming and let you know if there is an extra charge.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 16:00
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
239 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Night and Shuttle Question

Thanks so much.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Night and Shuttle Question

Better for you to try to find a driver by Internet than try to find one at arrival...at SJO is a group of not very nice PIRATES taxis without any permits...some of them speak some En glish...but incredible they charge more money than a regular official taxi or a private driver..they go most of the time by the old gossip technique...basically they are the best a d official taxis are the bad ones..

Roadadviskr

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Night and Shuttle Question

I personally would say to have a driver arranged ahead of time and have them take your direct to La Fortuna/volcano Arenal area. It's a great way to start your vacation by waking up to the birds chirping and already being there. A private driver is a stress free way to go! ;-) Enjoy!

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
804 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Night and Shuttle Question

They are reviewed very favorably on this forum and I have found them great to deal with for our trip next year.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Night and Shuttle Question

Agree with seaspirit 100%, Tucan Limo Services is excellent! Our family has used them for years.

7. Re: First Night and Shuttle Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 05:18