We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent 4 wheel drive this time of year?

Wash DC
13 posts
Save Topic
Rent 4 wheel drive this time of year?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what type of car to rent when I go to Costa Rica next week. Right now I'm considering an economy class since I'm not really going far off the beaten path. The gameplan is to do the following drive: San Jose --> La Fortuna --> Manuel Antonio --> Dominical --> Turrialba

They seem to all be major roads but I'm not familiar with how good they are. Should I upgrade to a 4wd or is a non 4wd ok for this type of itinerary? Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent 4 wheel drive this time of year?

IMO you do not need a 4x4 based on your itinerary and information...any vehicle in good condition will do it...

Nice to have that extra clearence...but in your casevnot worth it...

Roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent 4 wheel drive this time of year?

In Dominical, if you're staying at a house rental, you need to know what the road is like to get up to it as many are on the hill and the roads can be very bad (4x4 needed). That's the only place I can see that you may need it. If you want to explore around Dominical, the roads to the beaches definitely need a 4x4. I have one and have gone with that car and a cheap little rental...got stuck in the mud going to the beach (on the way to a park so not a crazy road)...just some things to think about. I like to go exploring so having the 4x4 is a must so it just depends on your style.. :-) Enjoy!

3. Re: Rent 4 wheel drive this time of year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 06:20