We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for an 8 day itinerary

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for an 8 day itinerary

Hey everyone - never been to Costa Rica but really want to go from Oct. 20-Oct. 29. We want to see the rain forest and do some hiking and possibly take the river rafting trip - the catch is we also want to enjoy the beach and local fun. Any ideas? Is 8 days enough time to do what we want? Any suggestions/comments/etc... most welcome! Cheers from Chicago :{)

Whitby, ON Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for an 8 day itinerary

Alas, 8 days is never enough...there's just so much to see/do. I think you could do almost all of the things you mention without being rushed by looking at the Central Pacific Coast Area...Jaco/Quespos/Manuel Antonio area...Jaco's only about 3 hrs. from S.J., and Q/MA another 1.5 hrs. south of that. You won't be spending half the day in your car to get to everything. If you're also thinking of seeing Arenal or the Monteverde Cloud Forest, however, with driving times, etc. that could eat up 3 to 4 of your days. Do-able I guess, but it all depends on how aggressive or laid back an itinerary you're comfortable with.

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for an 8 day itinerary

That is one of the rainiest times of the year. River rafting could be iffy. They do cancel the trips because of high water. I wouldn't plan on that ahead of time. You won't have trouble booking a trip once you are down there at that time of year.

http://www.costarica.com/Home/Weather/Temperature_Rainfall,_%7Damp;_Humidity

You might want to head up to the northern beaches like Tamarindo or Playa Hermosa and take day trips from there.

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
306 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for an 8 day itinerary

read my trip report from june. our favorites were

1. arenal volcano. great view from erupciones B&B. if weather coops.

2. samara, for laid- back beach time. try entre dos aguas for fun cheap lodging. sea kayaks here are fun.

3. half day white water on naranjo river by iguana tours out of quepos. water was high---class 3 &4 rapids. still have time to do other things after a.m. trip. stayed at espadilla cabinas in manuel antonio.

4. Re: Suggestions for an 8 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 16:19