We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica Travel Time Machine - Then & Now

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica Travel Time Machine - Then & Now

Came across this video over the weekend. This is a travel program from 1947 that hits Costa Rica. Thought some of you might get a kick out of it. Roadadvisor you will like this, there is even a bus taking passengers shown that could very well be one of your grandfathers.

Amazing to see how things have changed. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTinTEHSWkg

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica Travel Time Machine - Then & Now

I've seen this before and enjoyed seeing it again. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing! By the way, does anyone know where that 'swimming hole' scene is?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica Travel Time Machine - Then & Now

Amazing find, Inca! San Jose is not much different now, apart of the traffic. And banana plantations looks exactly the same.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica Travel Time Machine - Then & Now

Banana plantations may look the same, but I am sure nobody is swimming in the canals of the plantations anymore... too many chemicals used in this day and age... Still a fun vid, dug seeing the old cars, buses, and the airport.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica Travel Time Machine - Then & Now

Allylam the swimming hole is Ojo de Agua near Alajuela. I believe it is still open. Google it. Oh and the Airport is now Sabana Park. In the early scene with an electric trolley car, the building behind it is Hospital San Juan de Dios which is still open. The Orchid grower is Mr Lancaster of Lancaster Gardens in Paraiso, which is now cared for by the University of Costa Rica. The Japanese Garden is a beautiful new addition.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 23:14
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica Travel Time Machine - Then & Now

Yes Cana Tico Ojo de Agua still up and running in San Rafael de Ojo De Agua next to San Antonio de Belen..very popular place...the water is incredible clean and COLD!!

GRACIAS INCA yes that is one of our buses...druing that time we as a country were running out of tires no rubber big shortage of rubber around the world......according to my father in 1947...Empresa Chinchilla now Tucan Limo...we went down in the number of buses since we run out of tires...until the end of the world...and until the first tire shipments arrive in Costa Rica...

I have a huge picture of one of those buses hanging in my house....love them..since they were buil by hand by my uncles , grandfather and of course my father...we use to have Ford and Chevrolet buses...!

Such a nice short film...I was born a few years later...just about a mile from La Sabana International airport...history...history I just love it...

Thank you once again INCA...

roadadvisor

6. Re: Costa Rica Travel Time Machine - Then & Now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:17