We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First solo trip to Costa Rica in October

Buffalo, Minnesota
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
First solo trip to Costa Rica in October

Hello, I am planning to travel solo to Costa Rica in the middle of October for 10 days. Looking for advice on where to travel and stay. I have been reading the weather may be better on the Caribbean and am considering a stay in Tortuguero as opposed to Jaco / Manuel Antonio area. I have never been to South America or traveled alone, and would prefer not to rent a car if I don't have to. I am looking to relax by the beach, play volleyball if possible, take a guided kayak / canoe tour, etc. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First solo trip to Costa Rica in October

Two full days in Tortuguero should be plenty, I would head for Puerto Viejo area after. Plenty to do and see there. you can use public transportation to get around with no problems, is a little hard to get in and out of Tortuguero, but doable by public transport. while in Puerto Viejo easy to get around with rented bike.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,932 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First solo trip to Costa Rica in October

Do visit Tortuguero but only as a two day stop on your way to Paradise of Puerto Viejo (or smaller Cahuita or even smaller Manzanillo). A mix of shuttle van, boat and directo bus will take you around for not too much money. Or just stick with local buses, cheapest option although sometimes logistically complicated. In Puerto Viejo rent a bike or use local bus.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,027 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First solo trip to Costa Rica in October

Banana Azul near Puerto Viejo is a good option for a solo traveler. Lots to do in the area. Animal Rescue Center, Manzanillo with it's jungle setting, Punta Uva beach for snorkeling and swimming. Fishing, surfing, kayaking out of PV. Lots of bars and restaurants in town where you can meet fellow travelers. Use common sense, take taxi after dark outside of town etc. Public bus travel works fine. Shared shuttles are somewhat faster but cost more. No real need for a rental car.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First solo trip to Costa Rica in October

Banana Azul is a great place, but as a solo traveler I would check out a place more near center of town or near Cocles, where the most popular beach is.

5. Re: First solo trip to Costa Rica in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:23