We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtles in January?

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Topic
Turtles in January?

Hello All,

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Costa Rica, 2 weeks mid-January, and she has her heart set on seeing turtles on the beach. From what I have been able to learn, the Pacific Coast, near Santa Rosa National Park and perhaps south, presents our best chance to see turtles. It seems that whale watching (humpbacks) is also good in that area in January, so we are hoping to find locations that will provide both these opportunities and some nice beaches for relaxing and swimming. Can anyone please make suggestions or recommendations for these activities?

As this is our first trip, I'm sure we'll have more questions, so Thank You in advance for all of the help.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtles in January?

Sea turtles on the beach in January, not likely but anything is possible. They're out in the water then, no reason to come to land unless to lay eggs.

Egg-laying season is July through November normally.

We saw whales near Drake Bay. Uvita/Marino Ballena national park is also supposed to be good for that.

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtles in January?

Thanks, racandee. We had read that in January we might see leatherbacks laying eggs around Las Baulas, few though they may be. Guess we'll have to try to go back later in the year to see turtles laying eggs.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtles in January?

Leatherbacks nest at Playa Grande from the end of October through the beginning of February. If you stay there a few nights, chances are pretty good you will see one. You have to register to go with the park ranger. Your hotel will know how to do so.

4. Re: Turtles in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:16