We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car

8 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car

I know this question has been asked before, but anyone who has searched before for this understands how dificult and confusing this is!!

Anyone who has rented in 2012-2013....

What rental car company should i use?

I like the prices on thrifty and Fox. I want to save money, but it seems if you search each and every company I can find complaints on every company. So please post good and bad experiences.. Thank you for all your help

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car

The companies most recommended are: Wild Rider, Vamos, Solid, Service, Toyota, Adobe, Alamo. I would stay away from both Thrifty and Fox.

If you check the first few pages of this forum, you will see lots of posts about rental car companies and recommendations.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car

The top rental companies do NOT tend to change: The have remained the same for quite a few years: Wild Rider, Alamo, Toyota, etc.

Likewise, the companies with bad reputation also generally do not change: Economy, Europcar, Thrifty, etc.

Once in a while, some representative of one of the bad apples seems to come on here in an attempt to do some PR work, but going by reports here and elsewhere, it does not seem like there has been a real change in practices from them.

You are absolutely correct that there are bad reports for absolutely every company and this can, indeed, be extremely confusing. The only company that seems to never get negative reports is Wild Rider. Incidentally, they may meet your other criterion of saving money as well since their cars tend to be a bit older (but obviously still reliable). They might work - unless you are flying into LIR, where they are not represented.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car

You may find the research I carried out useful:

ezinearticles.com/…

You should also see Framtonian's Best and Worst Car rental thread, which contains many experiences positive and negative to help you make a decision. If prices look very good, be suspicious!

San José, San Jose...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car

please check this link tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k6206…

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
56 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car

I had a great experience with Adobe, no problems at all.

Shamong, New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car

We had Thrifty total cost 455.00. After 300 deposit returned to us. Great little car Toyota Yaris. We put over 900 miles on that car. Not 1 problem. We did get our car tire stabbed in Carrizal trying to find La Condesa hotel. We had a spare so my hubby changed tire in front of police station and the helpful people scattered like ants. No joke. Got new spare in town 40 bucks. No biggie. I liked everyone at Thrifty. I am NOT AN EASY PERSON TO PLEASE. Ask my hubby. Lol

england
Level Contributor
79 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car

Hired a car for 3 weeks in Dec 2013 from Wild Rider. Excellent price, service and vehicle. Would use this company again without any doubt

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
509 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car

I had the same question. I looked at the existing threads and contacted Wild Rider. They were great including meeting us at airport and then coming to our hotel to get the car at end of trip. A+.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car

DO NOT USE ECONOMY RENTAL CAR!!!!!

They quote you a price over the phone and then it goes way up when you get to San Jose. I was originally quoted $750 dollars for an SUV with 4WD, a gps and insurance. When I arrived to the Economy Car Rental, the quoted price changed. But first I had to wait in line for at least an hour. They are extremely slow. I arrived at 4:00pm and didn't leave until 6pm. After 12 hours of flying, 2 hours in line, I just wanted to get the car and go.

They said the insurance I was quoted didn't cover any damage to the car. They offered a higher priced insurance to be protected. They also said the GPS was a different, separate charge. The final total was over $1000 dollars. I would not have gone with this company if I had known this in the beginning. If you change your mind about having a car, don't expect a refund. They will not do it. Make sure to ask for your contract. They will not hand it to you unless you ask for it.

Don't expect any good customer service. Expect to get ripped off!

Once I got into the vehicle, I began driving. Don't expect the GPS to find your hotel. The GPS had no idea where my hotel was. Costa Rica doesn't have addresses either. The Economy Rental car staff also did not tell me the car could switch between automatic and manual drive. I was driving around in 1st gear for 20 minutes.

Also, the GPS guy didn't give me all of the GPS parts (mount and charger). He handed me just the screen, I asked, "Is this it?" He said yes and I was out the door. Since the GPS could not find my hotel and the car was driving ridiculously because of the gear issue, I promptly returned to the Economy rent a car. Then they said I forgot all the gps parts. I firmly said, "No, you never gave them to me." Then the GPS guy talked down to me in Spanish. Then the manager apologized for not telling me about the manual/automatic gear switch.

DON'T USE ECONOMY RENT A CAR. THEY ARE RUDE AND WILL OVER CHARGE YOU.

10. Re: Rental Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:21