We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help building itinerary

Caseyville, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help building itinerary

My wife and I are looking to travel to Costa Rica for the first time. We’re having a difficult time narrowing things down to determine an itinerary. Too many choices are a good thing though. :) Hopefully, you all with more experience can give us some advice. Here's the low down.

- Looking at around 14 nights towards the beginning of May '14 but we're flexible

- We're both in our mid-30's and very active. We anticipate lots of hiking and perhaps a bit of rafting.

- We’re beginner sailors and would possibly like to get out on the water for a day.

- We're both big-time scuba divers and will need to get our "fix" at some point on this trip, at least 6-8 dives

- We would like to explore several parts of the country if without burning out on traveling too much. Perhaps 3-4 stops would be about right

- Though we do enjoy local food and will dine out a bit we’d prefer to stay in vacation rentals as much as possible so we can cook for ourselves most of the time

- Pretty sure we want to see Arenal and get some dives in, everything else is wide open.

TIA,

Nick

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,839 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help building itinerary

Firstly, Costa Rica has only a limited number of diving sites. Luckily Isla Cano is also close to the best nature spot - Corcovado NP. You can start with taking a rafting on Rio Pacuare with final destination La Fortuna, Arenal. Stay here for 3-4 days. Then fly to Drake Bay, Osa peninsula. take a day off, then get a 1 or 2 nights at La Sirena ranger station. Another 2-3 days to recover and to dive at Isla Cano. Then you can enjoy the rest of your time in Uvita.

Caseyville, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help building itinerary

Thanks xelas,

From what I've read Isla Cano looks to be the best diving option in CR so we'll definitely spend a few days near there. Rafting the Rio Pacuare is high on our list as well. I need to research more into La Sirena Ranger Station, sounds like fun and we're not all afraid of roughing it for a few days.

Anyone else, have any unique ideas we might be missing?

3. Re: Help building itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:18