We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grad Trip to Costa Rica

Starkville...
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Grad Trip to Costa Rica

Myself and a couple of friends (all young women) are planning to visit Costa Rica in May 2014 for 7 nights for our college graduation trip. We are pretty adventurous and definitely beach people. We are looking at Montezuma currently because it seems to be surrounded by activities and has a fairly active nightlife. We are not looking for a huge resort (we like the local small town vibe) but do require some basic luxuries like air conditioning. My only concern is that the beaches within walking distance to Montezuma all appear to be too rocky for swimming and like I said earlier, we are beach people! Is this the case? Any suggestions to better our experience in Costa Rica? Any towns seem like a better fit for us? I have looked all over the internet, but I'm having a hard time making decisions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grad Trip to Costa Rica

Also, what would be an appropriate budget per person/per day for food, alcohol, light shopping, etc. Thanks again!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,839 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grad Trip to Costa Rica

Close to Montezuma, and with similar vibe is Santa Teresa. The beach is definitively sandy one. Accommodation in all budgets. With many young mostly surfers good night life is guaranteed. Another choice is Manuel Antonio. More touristy. older gents there, plenty of restaurants etc. And of course there is always Tamarindo area.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Grad Trip to Costa Rica

I have to agree xelas has a very good point, Montezuma is within close distance to Malpais and Santa Teresa, which also have nice beaches, and you'll find a pretty nice small town vibe in Montezuma. This page has some information on what you can do in Montezuma, and some of the other surrounding destinations. https:/…

Edited: 01 October 2013, 15:23
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,196 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grad Trip to Costa Rica

Montezuma has beautiful sandy beaches. It may not be the best choice for a swimmable beach however as there are riptides in this area as there are along much of the Pacific coatst. Santa Teresa/MalPais has spectacular long beaches but this is surfing territory so you'll need to be careful and ask locally where it's safe to go swimming. Santa Teresa has 2 advantages over Montezuma: spectacular sunsets since it faces west and Montezuma's beaches, which face the Gulf of Nicoya, can be affected by logs and wood debris that wash ashore after heavy rains around the gulf.

5. Re: Grad Trip to Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 06:40