We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado v. Cahuita

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Corcovado v. Cahuita

I am going to CR next week with my family, hub and 3 yr old daughter. We are trying to decide whether to spend three nights in Corcovado and check out the whales/wildlife, or head out to Cahuita and the Puerto Viejo area. We want to relax, but also see some wildlife.

Given weather and our 3 yr. old, what would you recommend?

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado v. Cahuita

Weather wise Cahuita and Puerto Viejo will be much better. I am not sure how a 3 year old would appreciate Corcovado but the National Park in Cahuita and the Gandoca Refuge in Manzanillo are an easy way to see all kinds of wildlife and. you can get up close and personal with the monkeys at the animal rescue centre.in Cocles.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado v. Cahuita

Corcovado is great!!! But it is rainy season now.

Puerto Viejo is also a beautiful place. I've been there in 2010 and I loved it.

About weather, I found this: …about.com/od/…When-To-Visit-Costa-Rica.htm

October and November are rainy months. But it doesn't mean that it rains 24hours/24.

Usually, it rains in the afternoon. Tropical warm rain...I think it is pretty cool.

Plan your activities in the morning.

About Carribeans side, it seems that they have less rain in October than Pacific side.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corcovado v. Cahuita

Definitively Cahuita. I do think that Corcovado NP might be even closed in October. Even Osa will be very rainy in October. With 3 nights you have barely enough time to reach Cahuita, to walk the Cahuita NP and to visit Jaguar Rescue Centre.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corcovado v. Cahuita

My daughter is used to hiking and wildlife, as she has not only been to Costa Rica on an average of twice a year, but also traveled to many other remote locaitons. I really would like her to get up close to the animals which feels like its less and less possible in the wild. Based on your responses, I am now leaning towards Cahuita. I have'nt been there since the early 80's so I'm sure it will all be new to me, and maybe she can enjoy the animals at the rescue center.

Thanks again for your advice!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corcovado v. Cahuita

Based on your info...CAHUITA...great park...great water...and during October great weather...

Around Punta Uva...check Gecko Lodge...incredible nice place...maybe what you may be looking for...and is run and own by some incredible nice decent people...as our old national slogan from ICT...Not artificial ingredients...

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corcovado v. Cahuita

You will find plenty of animals up close in the national park in Cahuita and not just in the rescue center. You're be relieved to know that you don't need to go to a rescue center for monkeys, sloths and raccoons even if the Caribbean coast is more developed than the last time you were here. If you decide on Cahuita, it would be wonderful to read your thoughts on how it has developed since you were here around 30 years ago.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corcovado v. Cahuita

I have the same issue. My 14 days trip doesn't give me the time to do both. Both sites seems to be so attractive! I will be there in July. Any advice?

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corcovado v. Cahuita

I do think 14 days is enough to do both sides. This link may be helpful: costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corcovado v. Cahuita

14 days is LOADS of time! We did Corcovado and Arenal plus a night at Tiki Villas in 12 days.

10. Re: Corcovado v. Cahuita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 07:19