We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Costa Rica

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Costa Rica

Living here in the Dominican Republic and running my own tour, I know that you can cover a lot of ground in a short period.

We will be flying into San Jose on a Thursday afternoon and likely staying there for the night. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are open...with San Jose being our Sunday night before our early Monday flight home.

I will be renting a car. Any suggestions for a circle route that would work?

Thanks in advance

PuntaCana Mike

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Costa Rica

Thursday of which month?

Anyway driving in Costa Rica is a slow affair apart for the locals). With many scenic places to stop, one cannot cover much of the territory. Let me try (and it is against my personal travel style): overnight somewhere in Alajuela, where the SJO airport is located. Get a car early next morning and drive toward Monteverde via PanAm Hwy 1 towards Puntarenas. You can do a longer route via Grecia, Sarchi, naranjo and San Ramon. From PanAm to Santa Elena, Monteverde take a road through Sardinal and Guacimal. Overnight near Santa Elena, visit one of its parks or hike to San Luis waterfall. After the lunch drove down the mountain via Tilaran and around the lake to La Fortuna. Visit Eco Thermales hot springs to soften the muscles. There are several routes to return to Alajuela. Longest one will go via Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui.

Another route is again PanAm toward Puntarens yet then south on Costanera Sur all the way to Uvita. Find a nice lodge in the hills and go to Ojochal for an upscale dinning experience. Very early next morning (like 5 am latest) start driving into the mountaines towards San isidro de el General, where you will turn left onto the PanAm 2. Continue driving as far as Cartago. If having still daylight you may visit volcano Irazu. Otherwise stay somewhere near Cartago. If the bridge over Rio parisima on road 32 will be already repaired then you can do another long all day drive from Cartago via Turrialba, Siquirres, Guapiles and back to San Jose.

This is how you will cover a lot of territory. But you will spent almost all of your time in the car. Well, you've asked for it.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Costa Rica

LOL...I did indeed! We are arriving Oct 17th. It is a random anniversary trip. My wife has no idea where we are going...I just told her to be ready for anything or anywhere. I should have explained that I would like to drive 3-4 hours and call wherever I end up as home for the afternoon and evening.

Thanks for the prompt input!

Cheers

PCMike

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Costa Rica

What, only 3-4 hours driving per day? It looks like you will be circling the Central valley mostly, hahaha.

Weather wise you will have more drier time on the Caribbean side. However, you will need to take the longer road via Turrialba. Not a bad idea as this route is a spectacular one. Stay first night under the Turrialba volcano. Drive next day to Cahuita or Puerto Viejo. Stay at Banana Azul, morning visit Cahuita and its national park, afternoon drive to Manzanillo. Take the same route back to San Jose.

To be honest, october and three days, it is not the brightest idea out there. Bring your umbrella and a lot of good will. Happy driving!

Canada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Costa Rica

With only three days I would forget about driving and take domestic flights or pick a spot and stay there.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Costa Rica

Sounds like touring the mountains here in the DR in October! I am accustomed to tropics weather. Some of the best days traveling the mountains here have been during the rains...everything comes to life!

Ok...if I was to spend 3 nights in one part...suggestions??? I live on one of the best beach areas in the world, thus lounging seaside sipping foo foo drinks is not the plan. I can do that here. I would like to do some CR rafting on one day. i should add, my wife has never ww rafted, thus nothing too extreme.

Tico...how's life in barrie? I used to frequent Fitzi's on a Sunday afternoon!

Edited: 03 October 2013, 17:14
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Costa Rica

Monteverde. it will be cloudy, it will be cold, and it will most definitively be wet. but it will be much different then anything in DR. If this is too extreme then La Fortuna, Arenal. More activities to fulfill your days. rafting, river floating, river boat tour, relatively easy hiking, and in the mornings chances of sun breaking through clouds. Hot springs in the evening. Plenty of accommodations in all ranges. Low season so few tourists and more chances to rub shoulders with Ticos in popular hangouts. Yeah, I would say La Fortuna for an anniversary.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Costa Rica

A second vote for La Fortuna, Arenal. Love the cold beer and live music at Fitzi's on a Sunday afternoon, but the food...no me gustan!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Costa Rica

Had a good friend who just passed away...Johnnie Mathieson who used to try the piano from time to time at Fitzis!

I am thinking maybe La Fortuna makes sense to cover all of my bases. Thanks to all.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

9. Re: 3 days in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 06:21