We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend trip away from base in Heredia

Heredia, Costa Rica
2 posts
Save Topic
Weekend trip away from base in Heredia

Hello everyone,

My fiancée and I have recently moved to Heredia, and as we work Saturdays we don't often get the chance to travel. As this Saturday is a holiday we'd like to go somewhere not too far away where we can relax for not *too* high a price, and using public transportation. However, we haven't really found what we're looking for, so if anyone has any advice we'd be very grateful!

Mentioned in this post
Heredia
Heredia
Province of Heredia, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
371 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend trip away from base in Heredia

I like Dominical or Uvita.

Look for hostels there if you don't want to spend a lot.

Manuel Antonio is really nice too. Get the lodging at Quepos, it could be cheaper maybe.

The bus is great to reach those destination. I did it in the past, cheap and easy!

Qué le vaya muy bien sus vacaciones! :)

Mentioned in this post
Dominical
Dominical
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Uvita
Uvita
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Quepos
Quepos
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,231 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend trip away from base in Heredia

Are you looking for beach...lake,,,rivers...mountains...wild llife"???

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend trip away from base in Heredia

Im with Roadadvisor, a bit more info on what you're after and the forum can help. There are plenty of things to do out of Heredia.

Heredia, Costa Rica
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend trip away from base in Heredia

Fair enough, I suppose some more detail would help... Broadly speaking, we´d like to do something relaxing; we were thinking beaches or hot springs, or something of that ilk - maybe mountains. We´re looking at leaving Heredia at about 2pm on Friday and coming back on Sunday afternoon or evening, so bus schedules are a factor too (though we can look that up ourselves once we know the destination).

We went to Manuel Antonio for a couple of days last month, and we really enjoyed it. I´ll have a look at Dominical and Uvita when I get home from work, merci Cris!

Thanks for getting back to me anyway, I really appreciate your time.

James

Mentioned in this post
Heredia
Heredia
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Dominical
Dominical
Uvita
Uvita
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend trip away from base in Heredia

This might help: http://www.costaricanbirdroute.com/sites.htm

This map was created for birders but is a great "guide" to some really interesting places. A few places, such as Pital, you can see both Scarlet and Green Macaws, for instance. Staying the the Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui area also is excellent. Interesting things to do and boat trips on the Sarapiqui River.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui, Costa Rica
Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend trip away from base in Heredia

Yes, I also wanted to recommend Sarapiqui. Very easy and fast to get there. A really beautiful and special place to stay would be Hacienda Pozo Azul. They offer very comfortable accommodation in the forest in "Tent Suites" which are tents with a private bathroom, a safe, electricity, internet and a terrasse but the experience to wake up with the sun and the sound of the jungle is just unique. They offer different kinds of tours like Rafting or Canopy and Horsebackriding. In the area there are different kinds of hotels, if you are not looking for adventure you can definetly enjoy the nature of Sarapiqui doing some hiking or a niht tour for example.

Mentioned in this post
Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui
Hacienda Pozo Azul
Hacienda Pozo Azul
139 Reviews
La Virgen, Costa Rica
7. Re: Weekend trip away from base in Heredia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:18