We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Pumas

Ottawa
Level Contributor
342 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Las Pumas

Hey folks - I am thinking of stopping in Canas on our way from la fortuna to tamarindo. I definently want to visit las pumas and grab lunch; and if time permits check out the waterfall (can't immediately recall the name), and the mosaic church. My first question is - do you think we'd have time for all of this? If not, we'd likely cut out the waterfall. Second question, as we're travelling between hotels we'll have all our stuff with us - is the parking lot at the rescue centre safe for this? We have a small SUV so you'll be able to see everything. Advice much appreciated ;)

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,147 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Pumas

El Cortes waterfall?? The parking lot at Las Canas is a secure one. Almost all of the visitors that came by car are in between two hotels.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Pumas

1. The parking lot at Las Pumas is secure. It's behind a gate with a security guard and about 200 meters off the main highway - so no problem.

2. At Cortes del Llano waterfall, there really is no "secure" parking, such as at Las Pumas but usually there are one or two local guys who act as security guards and will watch your car for a small fee. (A dollar or two...)

3. The mosaic church is in the center of Canas. As you are coming from Tilaran and approaching Canas, you will see a small hospital on your left. Just past that is a fork in the road - take the right fork. In Canas, you will encounter a raft of one-way streets. The easiest way to get to the Park and the church is to turn left at an intersection that is blocked off to the right - there's a school there. This will take you to the Park where you can safely park your car and walk around the church. Afterwards, just keep going on the same street for a couple of block and turn right at the second block (the first street is a one way going the "wrong" way) - and you will then reach Hwy 1 for the rest of your journey.

And yes, you have plenty of time to do this. For lunch, you can go to La Pacifica which is very close to Las Pumas. It's off the highway in a jungle-like setting and the food is delicious, although expensive.

You can also eat at Rincon Corobici which is overlooking the Corobici River and very pleasant. Good food and less expensive than La Pacifica.

As a general rule: Never leave anything valuable or important in your car. Take Ipads or laptops or cameras, phone, passport, money etc with you always.

Edited: 20 October 2013, 13:02
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Pumas

Oh - sorry -- it's "Llanos del Cortes" waterfall. (Not enough coffee yet......)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
342 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Pumas

Wow Hattie, thank you for such a detailed response! I had those two restos on my list already from one of your previous posts! We won't have much in the way of valuables with us (camera and iPad) so no problem taking those with us.

Xelas - I was thinking the same thing, that tons of people break up their drive in canas so it should be ok, just thought id double check :)

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

5. Re: Las Pumas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 06:21