We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Tips?

Hello! I am looking forward to my trip to Costa Rica in less then 2 weeks!!! :)))

Just wanted to ask.... What is customary regarding tipping... Is it normal to give 15-20%???

Mostly I am thinking of restaurant, but I guess I wonder about excursions and tours as well.

Thanks.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips?

Yea! You're going to love it here! Tipping is not necessarily required/expected in Costa Rica, but it is DEFINITELY appreciated by everyone as local salaries are quite low and tips help compensate. 10% is already added to your food and beverage bills but that amount is usually shared by all staff, so if your server or bartender did a great job, giving something extra is a very nice gesture. Tipping tour guides or transportation drivers is also nice and helpful.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips?

Honestly 10% is good and enough ...of course people will like more...specially foreign workers trying to make as much as possible...but for us is 10% enough... do not try to extra tip in colones you can give to much or to little...

roadadvisor

3. Re: Tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 05:18