We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

Hey everybody! I am looking for some help/information about planning a destination wedding in Costa Rica. I know there are a few threads out there similar to this, but I was hoping for some new/specific information.

First thing... LOCATION?

We are looking for an all-inclusive resort for the simplicity of it. We would prefere a beach front hotel with good food and not too large (if possible). Any thoughts?

Second... What is the weather like in late September/early October? We would really like to get married on September 26th, but I am worried about the chance of storms everyday.

Third... Any suggestions on group excursion? Possibly a canopy tour, or a visit to the hot springs? Any companies that you have worked with and would recommended?

Thank you SO much in advance for all of your help!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

1. Most of the all-inclusives are located in the northwest of Costa Rica so it would be best to plan on flying into LIR Liberia. Otherwise, it's about 5 hours or so from SJO San Jose to most of them.

2. One good option, I think, would be the Barcelo Langosta. It's near the town of Tamarindo which has a large selection of restaurants and nightlife and has everything you would need for a wedding.

3. Some other all-inclusives to look at would include Allegro Papagayo, Villas Sol in Playa Hermosa, Flamingo Beach Resort, among others.

4. Just avoid the RIU.

5. If your budget allows, the Westin Playa Conchal is thought by most to be the finest all-inclusive in Costa Rica. There is also Reserva Conchal on the same property which features villas and condos.

6. No problem planning excursions. Just figure out where you want to stay and either let the resort take care of it for you or do the planning yourself. This is a popular day trip: http://guachipelin.com/one-day-pass.html

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I'm going to look into all of those resorts!

I'm glad to here excursions aren't hard to find. Though we're doing all-inclusive to make the wedding easy on the guest, I really do want to experience Costa Rica. My fiancé and I may even travel somwhere else after all of the guests have gone.

Any must-see's, must-do's? Any great local towns or reataurants to see. I personally, cannot wait to experience the rainforest and wild life. It all seems breathtaking!

Thank you again for your suggestions! We really really appreciate it!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

Weather wise, you would be much safer on the Caribbean side which has its best months in September and October but simply cannot offer the AI kind of hotel that you are thinking about. However, I've heard good things about http://www.almondsandcorals.com/ should you wish to consider it.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

Just a heads up. You picked Costa Rica because you can't wait to experience the rainforest and wildlife? You need to be alerted that Costa Rica has a very limited number of all-inclusive hotels, unlike Punta Cana or the Riviera Maya, and they are located in the NW corner of the country far from rainforest and wildlife. September and October are the height of rainy season all along the Pacific coast. Not a wise choice for a beachfront wedding.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

I have to disagree with crfan on this one. There most certainly are "rainforests and wildlife" not far from the AI's on the Pacific coast. In fact, if you check out the Guanacaste Conservation Area, you will discover several National Parks as well as other Conservation areas, some of which have rainforest or dry tropical forest and all have wildlife.

Many of the AI's also have their own "forests" on their property with monkeys, etc.

While I am not a fan of AI's, I can understand wanting to make things as easy as possible for guests.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

Flamingo Beach resort usually runs free basic wedding packages in the Fall (one of the few hotels that offer a promotion like that), its a cute medium sized hotel, nice beach central location close to tamarindo, brasilito but not right inside either. They have both Breakfast and AI rates. Hilton Papagayo if your budget allows has beautiful sunsets and great ambiance. Just a slight notch below Westin Playa Conchal. More budget friendly, Villas Sol has done a lot of renovations and has a great terrace area with awesome views where you can set up events (not sure if they can do a beach set up though)

Depending on your group size, you might want to contact Ecotrans, Jacamar or Desafio to run private excursions for your group. If you have more than 8+ people on a tour, getting your own bus on your own schedule for the tours will probably be less expensive than booking individual tours (as long as you have 8+ people to share the transportation costs. The adventure combos at Guachipelin and Buena Vista are really (Buena vista is the canopy tour out of about 8 different ones I've done all over the country where I actually saw monkeys while zip lining). Both combine zip line with additional activities and hot springs fed by Rincon de la Vieja.

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

We were just at the Westin last week and although it is pricey, it was beautiful. There were monkeys just outside the resort in front of the beach even. Although you are in a landscaped and well groomed hotel, we definitely experienced the "real" Costa Rica with day trips and talking to locals in the area. Is was a nice combo of the pampered but real world :)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

The great thing is that during September you can get great incredible deals even at the high end All Inclusive resorts!

roadadvisor

9. Re: Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 November 2013, 13:05
10. Re: Destination Wedding Location in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:16