We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Hostel Reservations or Bookings required?

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Are Hostel Reservations or Bookings required?

Hi,

We're going to Costa Rica for 2 weeks from Dec 16 - Jan 2. I know this is the busy, tourist season, but it's the only time we can make it. I'm used to simply showing up at a location and figuring it out once I'm there. However, due to our short stay and it being high season, will we need to make hostel reservations?

Thanks for your help!

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Hostel Reservations or Bookings required?

Christmas and Easter you HAVE to make reservations.

Well, you don't have to but if you're staying hostel what are you going to do if they're full?

The 16th probably won't be too bad yet, but a few days later...

Many many Costa Ricans will get 2 weeks off for Christmas and they will head for the coast for a chunk of that time. It's crazy, sometimes on certain days they'll close a 2 lane highway (2 lanes each way = 4) and make it so when people are heading to the coast it's 4 lanes out and the days they come back it's 4 lanes back! I know they do this from San Jose to/from the Pacific at Easter and I think they do it for Christmas too.

Don't be surprised if when you make the reservations they want you to fax a copy of your credit card and passport to them. Not everywhere does it, but some places still do it.

Gary

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Hostel Reservations or Bookings required?

Thanks a lot for the info. Guess I'll be making reservations. Much appreciated!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Hostel Reservations or Bookings required?

TRY NO TO PAY ANYTHING IN ADVANCE....Avoid middle people...commision seekers are a pest and aree looking just for your hard earned money...

Budget places most of the time since they have no many rooms...they will take your money and if you decided to cancel...they will said that they will be loosing that night...and sorry no refund...be sure if you pay that ...the place is what you are looking for!

roadadvisor

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Hostel Reservations or Bookings required?

Thanks! I will try not to pay in advance.

5. Re: Are Hostel Reservations or Bookings required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 06:19