We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our itinerary, comments welcome!

cambodia
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Our itinerary, comments welcome!

Please a little help here. This is what I have come up with on my own for our trip in late January:

Fly into San Jose and rent a car. Stay overnight in the San Jose area or drive towards the Pacific coast and spend a night or 2.

Uvita 3 nights

Osa 4 nights

Manual Antonio 2 nights

Finally back to San Jose before departing. 1 night.

I think the drive from San Jose to Uvita is about 7-8 hours? We will probably be arriving around noon in San Jose, where would be a good place to stop for a night or 2 on the way to Uvita? Also am unsure of Manual Antonio to stay or any other recommendations in that general area? Finally a nice place to stay in the vicinity of the airport for our last night in Costa Rica?

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated! Cheers!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our itinerary, comments welcome!

The airport (SJO) is actually near Alajuela, and about 30 min by car (if not rush hours) from San Jose. So you should stay near airport/Alajuela. Driving from SOJ/Alajuela is more like 4 hours, using Caldera Hwy.

Thus you can start right away, and stop for your overnight at Manuel Antonio (cca. 3 hrs). Stay 2 nights if your full day will not be Monday, when the NP is closed. Continue from MA to Osa (which side, Puerto Jimenez or Drake Bay?). On your return stop in Uvita, then drive directly to Alajuela for your last night.

Places to stay mostly depends on your planned budget. Using TA hotel review section should give you plenty of ideas.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our itinerary, comments welcome!

Have you considered flying for at leat part of the trip? Car would be essentially useless once you're in the Osa. Have you picked a place in the Osa, btw?

Rather than staying at Manuel Antonio, I would choose something to provide a better contrast--probably a highland area. Manuel Antonio is lovely for a short stay, but after visiting the Osa it may be a letdown.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
365 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our itinerary, comments welcome!

I think your itinerary is good.

It could be great by ending in MA and just relax at the beach and do some shopping before departure.

Osa and Uvita is GREAT! Really.

Personnaly, I prefer Ojochal, about 15 minutes south of Uvita, to eat and stay.

But Uvita is also good. Don't miss to visit the National Park Marino Ballena.

There is a good restaurant between Dominical and Uvita called La Parcela. Beautiful view.

In Ojochal, look for Exotica restaurant for fine cuisine.

To check some options about Uvita hotels: www.southerncostarica.biz/Uvita/cat-hotels/

Enjoy your trip!

cambodia
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our itinerary, comments welcome!

Thanks for the advice. We are leaning towards the Puerto Jimenez side of Osa, staying at Casa Bambu or El Remanso. I'll check into Ojochal, haven't come across that before. I also thought that Manual Antonio might be a letdown after Osa. If we can drive from Uvita area to Alajuela on our final day that would be better I think. Cheers!

5. Re: Our itinerary, comments welcome!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 04:16