We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
286 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

For some reason this property has gotten little notice in this forum and I got very little feedback to my inquiries about it , as such we visited it based on website alone. I am glad we did!

The location is perfect, just to the left of the MAl Pais/St. Teresa crossroad, the property is set-up well with several lovely cabanas and three basic rooms with bath, just beautiful well maintained grounds and most importantly the staff is fantastic.

As it is green season we pretty much had the run of the house. Antonio was our host most of our stay and he is top notch! He helped us arrange activities, gave surf lessons to the boys, as well as, hung out had a beer or two and just chatted with us.

Must impressive of all was telling us he would cook for us if we caught anything on our fishing trip. When we came back with 20 lb. of Yellow Tail and Mahi Mahi he took off to the store on his bike, picked up fresh ingredients and prepared us a meal second to none! Sushi, sashimi(sp) and grilled garlic tuna, and baked Mahi, tomatoes and onions with fresh mashed potatoes and salad!!! What a treat!

Everything we needed was close by, including Playa Carmen, a short walk away. The restaurant located right on the beach is also quite good!

As we left Antonio let me know that if we had any problems or questions on the rest of our 12 days to give him a call and he would take care of anything we needed. Somehow I gotta believe he would have, as he took care of everything we needed up to that point!

The rest of the staff was pleasant, we just spent more time with Antonio, as he was working when we were hanging out.

As a side note, we spent 4 days here and then 1 1/2 in Montezuma before heading east. Though we really enjoyed the falls, my choice would be Mal Pais any day.

I strongly recommend this property. If anyone can tell me how to get listed in the hotel section I would appreciate it as this should be listed among the others!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
360 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

So glad to read your post!!!

I am on my way to Surf The Place in two weeks.

Just like you, I looked everywhere for information and found nothing.

My original plan was to stay at Casa Chameleon which gets great reviews but it's sold out.

I will write a review when I come back...hopefully I get to meet Antonio. Somebody else recently posted a review praisinig him for his hospitality.

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
286 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

That was my review! It astounds me the lack of info on this place! You will really enjoy. The location is so much better than most others, as you can get anywhere and back with ease, yet no noise!

Be sure to go to the pizza joint at Playa Carmen.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

We are considering staying there in August. Does The Place have a pool and bar?

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
286 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

Yes to both, but only breakfast-unless you catch fish and Antonio will cook it for you!. See review under Mal Pais hotels. It is fantastic.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
360 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

One more question:

did you see a hotel called Tropico Latino (it's on the beach side)??

If yes, how does it compare to The Place?

Thanks a million!!!

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
286 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

actually drove down driveway. it is nice but the word is not quite as hospitable. It is located in good area but I would stay at the place. The walk or ride to beach is not even 5 minutes.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

How did you make your reservation at The Place? I've emailed them twice this past week but no responce :(

Did you notice if Ritmo Tropical had a pool?

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
286 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

either call directly or go through Costa Nica Tours. which is how we ended up getting reservations. CNT won't cost you anymore and Rod can help with lots of things!

Pool at RITMO

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

I finally got a responce from Andrea at The Place and I'm on the verge on making a reserevation for 3 nights.

I've got a few questions

I heard that they show movies there at night? Do you know what nights? Do they set up a screen outside?

How was the bar area? Were there other people hanging out?

Were the drinks expensive?

Did you see the rooms inside the main building?

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
286 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Surf The Place in Mal Pais/St. Teresa- GREAT

Went during JUly slow season so we owned the joint. Movies are on big screen over pool, I believe it was Tuesday or Wednesday. We stayed in the main building and the rooms were just fine- nothing special but just fine.

I hear it hops during more busy season.