We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

1. Does any one know if the late afternoon (about 4pm) directo bus will be running on 1/1/14?

2. Can one make a reservation on it, and how?

3. Where does the bus go to in SJO? Is that a place we (two women) can feel reasonably safe until I find a taxi?

4. On New Year's Day, any problem in finding a taxi in SJO around 7pm, from bus depot, to take us to a hotel?

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

1. You will need to contact the bus company to ensure that the bus will be running on New Year's Day. Typically, all buses are running but each bus company makes its own decision. You might check with your lodging in Puerto Viejo or with Gecko Trails.

2. No reservation. You can buy a ticket the day before.

3. The bus doesn't go to SJO. It goes to San Jose. SJO is about 15 km from San Jose so you will need either a taxi or the public bus to get to the airport from the bus station in San Jose. And yes, it's easy to find a taxi at the bus station - they will be lined up. It will cost around $25 to get to the airport from San Jose.

4. If you are staying in a hotel in San Jose, then it's easy to get a taxi from the bus station to your hotel and a taxi (or public bus) to SJO the next morning.

Please check a decent map of the San Jose/Alajuela area and you will see where things are located.

If I were you, I would take an earlier bus than the 4 pm, directo or not.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

1. I would rather get the transportation set up now, instead of waiting, especially since the 4pm bus is the last directo bus out of PV for the day, but it sounds like I have to wait until the day before I leave PV to buy the ticket.

What if they sell out?

2. I was planning to spend the night of 1/1 in Alajuela, as our plane leaves on January 2 at 7 a.m.. Is there a different part of the SJ that makes more sense to stay in given that we'll be coming into the bus depot?

3. Why take an earlier bus than the 4pm? I was hoping we could max out our time in PV, and minimize our time spent waiting in our SJ area hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

Why take an earlier bus?

1. What will you do with yourself between the time you check out of your hotel and you leave on the bus at 4 pm? And good luck with a late check-out that time of year. OK -- you can leave your luggage at your hotel and then........ walk around town? Get something to eat? Go to the beach? If I am about to leave on a 4-hour (or more) bus ride, I like to be as clean and non-sweaty and non-sandy as possible. To me, that extra two or three hours in Puerto Viejo is just not worth it.

2. I don't like arriving in San Jose after dark. But that's just me.

As for "what if the bus is sold out" - well, when you go the day before to buy your ticket, then you will know and can buy a ticket on an earlier bus probably.

Another option is to contact one of the services that will buy a bus ticket for you. But they charge for that and if you are going to do that, you might as well just take the shared van shuttle. Take a look at the transportation options here: www.puertoviejosatellite.com/transport.php

Why not just stay in Alajuela? You will be closer to the airport and it's much more pleasant. From San Jose to Alajuela, you can take a bus (and a taxi from the bus station to your hotel) or a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Alajuela
Alajuela
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

The buses will be running as normal. What you can do is take a bus to Limon and change if the direct bus is sold out - it is no big hassle. I would second Hattie's suggestion of not arriving in San Jose at night, especially if you take the direct bus to the Don Busco Terminal which isn't in the nicest part of town. The roads from the beach to the capital are likely to be very full of people returning for work the following day so consider this in your time planning. Route 32 is only one lane each way and so if there is an accident, you wait and wait and wait until the transit police arrive before the vehicles can be moved. The more traffic on the roads, the more chances of accidents and delays. Having said that, I completely understand your desire to have every last second at the beach!

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

So would it be less stressful, while spending as much time as possible in PV on January 1, to take a shuttle bus instead of a directo bus?

I'm thinking we could spend 1/1 doing something in the morning/early afternoon that won't require showering off... like visiting the sloth sanctuary (IF they are open on 1/1).

I'm still not fully understanding the issue about arriving in SJ after dark; is it so dicey at the bus station that I should be fearful even though the plan would be to catch a cab? Are the taxis not waiting right at the bus station?

If we take a shuttle bus from PV, do they take us directly to Alajuela? Directly to our hotel?

I foresee that if we arrive in Alajuela in the afternoon, there really won't be anything we'll be wanting to do, and it will feel like wasted time.

I very much appreciate counter arguments, especially when they're for my own good- it's just that I don't realize it yet.

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

Obviously, you will have to make up your own mind about this. But there are "things to do" in the Alajuela area -- even things as simple as sitting in the Central Park with an ice cream cone and enjoying watching the Costa Rican families. Whatever time you have in Costa Rica, it's only you that will think of it as "wasted time." Things to do in Alajuela would include -- checking out the book store that sells used English books for something to read on the flight, visiting the Central Park or the Central Market, doing some last minute shopping or banking, having dinner in a nice restaurant, just strolling around town and taking in "all things Costa Rican." Wasted time? Only if you think of it that way.

As for the shuttle -- they provide hotel to hotel service. They don't "deliver" to every single hotel in Alajuela - but many of them. If they don't deliver you to the place you want to stay, then you can get delivered to some hotel nearby and just take a taxi from there. Check www.interbusonline.com and www.anywherecostarica.com (click on transportation) as well as the shuttle service described in the puertoviejosatellite.com website. Look for Puerto Viejo to San Jose and check the drop-down list of hotels. There are many that are in Alajuela.

As for the safety issues of arriving after dark in San Jose - keep in mind that two of us (who live in Costa Rica) wouldn't do it and advise against it.

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

Hattie is giving you very good advice. Having traveled on the directo that route I felt safe in the daytime, no worries. I would not feel comfortable in that area after dark and especially as late as you would arrive on the late bus. If you want to spend that morning in PV area, and I would visiting the Jaguar Rescue Center as you mentioned, just ask at Toucanstay. They most likely will be happy to keep your luggage downstairs for you. I would do that, have lunch after you lv the Rescue Center, maybe a final swim. Take Interbus shuttle. They will pick you up right there at the Inn and then take you directly to your hotel in Alajuela. During that busy travel week I think it just makes a lot more sense. I had a collapsible cooler along and grabbed some water at the Pulperia in Punta Uva for the ride. Sit back and relax. Well, as much as possible on that busy highway ;-) While I typically enjoy the bus in CR, that is a day you will be happy to be delivered directly to your hotel. Especially with your very early morning flight. Not worth the stress of being in downtown SJ late at night.

Mentioned in this post
Interbus
Interbus
386 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Alajuela
Alajuela
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

I am booked at the Toucan Stay Inn, but the tour planner, who is helping me with arrangements, says the shuttle will not pick me up there because the shuttle doesn't know it, and I will need to go to a hotel that the shuttle recognizes. Is that not how it was for you, Obxpat?

Mentioned in this post
The Toucan Stay Inn
The Toucan Stay Inn
64 Reviews
Punta Uva, Costa Rica
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

No, I made the reservation with Interbus. Gave them the hotel name. It is right across the highway (only one) from the Punta Uva Pulperia. The shuttle (30 min late) picked me up right there. When it was late the Mgr of Toucanstay called for me and was told exactly when it would arrive. Not hard to find and they can get exact location from website coordinates etc. They did not have any problem with it when I booked!

Mentioned in this post
Interbus
Interbus
386 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
10. Re: Directo Bus on New Year's Day, PV to SJO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 06:20