We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa rica in JULY - will i tan? leaving in three days!

Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Topic
costa rica in JULY - will i tan? leaving in three days!

i feel like everything i read about costa rica in july is all...

clouds clouds clouds rain rain rain.

it is going to be miserable, or will i be able to get a tan on the beach?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costa rica in JULY - will i tan? leaving in three days!

I just returned from a10-day vacation in Costa Rica where we visited the Jaco and Manuel Antonion areas, and I would say we only had three days where it didn't rain at all. And those three days were absolutely clear sky, full of sun and SUPER HOT! I would consider myself a sun worshipper, but even with only three days of full sun, I felt it was plenty. The sun in Costa Rica is hot, hot, hot and very intense. We actually welcomed the cloudy days since we didnt have to worry about frying our skin and getting bad burns. Even with using SPF 30 throughout the day, you will still burn on the sunniest days. The sun is just amazingly intense there.

The rest of the days were filled with partial sun and partial rain. Some days it was cloudy and rainy the entire day, and other days started off very sunny and went downhill around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. That gave us just enough time to visit a beach and get in some sun before the rain started. We visited the Jaco and Manuel Antonio areas, and it seems to me that you have the better weather in these areas since they are near the coast. I would suggest getting up early and enjoying the weather that the morning's have to offer.

Have fun!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costa rica in JULY - will i tan? leaving in three days!

Impossible to predict the weather here but generally it's sunny or partly cloudy until 3 pm (ish), maybe rain in the late afternoon or early evening and at night. Sunrise is early 5:30 am so plan your activities early in the day when there is a higher likelihood of sun. Please be careful even when it's cloudy! I met a very nice but very miserable honeymooner last week who used no sunscreen on a day that was entirely overcast. He was red as a beet. A real vacation killer for sure! Reapply the sunscreen throughout the day esp. after exercise and use a very high SPF. As the previous poster indicated, the sun is extremely intense. Clouds and rain ... yup! Suntan ... sure! Just don't wait until the afternoon to catch your rays! Lisa in Manuel Antonio

Dayton, Oh.
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: costa rica in JULY - will i tan? leaving in three days!

Just returned from Costa Rica last week. I was there for 10 days. When we were in Arenal and Monteverde we had heavy rain. But when we went to Manuel Antonio and Tamarindo we had plenty of sun. First day at beach at Manuel Antonio, I got burnt after being in sun for 30 min. with #30 sunsceen on and I already had some tan from sitting at pool at home!!! If it rained on the Pacific Coast, it rained late in the day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: costa rica in JULY - will i tan? leaving in three days!

Please report back with before and after pictures. Thank you.

:)

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: costa rica in JULY - will i tan? leaving in three days!

I was there this time last year and up by Playa Conchal we had plenty of sun. Even down in Dominical we only had 1 partly bad day out of 4. And Latitude9lisa is bang on. Kind of like FL - only it rains harder and you have - gasp - mountains! Enjoy!

6. Re: costa rica in JULY - will i tan? leaving in three days!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 10:33