We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay???

WPG, MB
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Which area to stay???

Lookin to be near excursions, nice beach and maybe a nearby town. Would like all inclusive. It seems most of these are in the guanacaste area? Where do most people stay? Going for 2 weeks. Thx.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay???

All inclusive hotels are almost all located in the Guanacaste area. Manuel Antonio is a nice beach town with lots of excursion options if you are open to non all-inclusive options.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay???

For all-inclusive, check --

Barcelo Langosta (near Tamarindo)

Villas Sol in Playa Hermosa

Hilton Papagayo

Allegro Papagayo

Stay away from the RIU.

If you decide not to do all-inclusive, that opens up your options tremendously. Costa Rica, unlike some other countries, has an excellent tourist infrastructure all over the country so really no need to limit yourself to an all-inclusive. No matter where you go, you can find good lodging of all sorts and all prices as well as excellent restaurants.

This is a good resource: www.anywherecostarica.com as well as this one: www.costa-rica-guide.com

If you decide to go all-inclusive, plan on flying into LIR Liberia which is an hour or less from them. If you fly into SJO, it's a 5-hour trek.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
96 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay???

I don't think I would stay in any ai for a full two weeks. Check out some smaller hotels. They almost all have a meal plan option and many include breakfast. Happy Hours are plenty where beer is $1.50 so why do an ai the entire stay. If you must do an ai, villa sol is the only one where you can walk right of campus into a town. Jay Villa Nube Nueve

Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay???

how come you say stay away from the Riu? I'm going there in 2 weeks so I'm curious.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 16:19
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay???

The RIU has had serious problems from the get-go, including environmental infractions and a tremendous use of fresh water in an area that has little to go around. There have been protests at the gate to the resort, protests in the street at the Municipality and investigations about bribery of officials. It has the reputation as the "most hated hotel in Costa Rica."

I am seeing banner ads for the RIU for $85 a night, AI, and $105 a night at the RIU Palace, AI. I guess they have to do SOMETHING to fill those 1200 rooms!

Edited: 11 November 2013, 16:24
Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay???

Thanks for the reply. It's too late for me to make any changes travel wise so i guess I'll have to see for myself.

7. Re: Which area to stay???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:18