We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe part of San Jose Costa Rica

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Safe part of San Jose Costa Rica

I am planning a trip to Costa Rica and will have one nights stay in San Jose. Can anyone suggest the safest area for two single females? I hear that staying near the airport or bus station is not a good idea.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe part of San Jose Costa Rica

L8ke any country common sense...all really depends on budget per nigth and itinerary...

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,698 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe part of San Jose Costa Rica

The airport (SJO) is located next to the city of Alajuela - about a 30+ minute drive west of San Jose. You don't say if your one night lodging is upon arrival or departure, but Alajuela is very close to the airport making it a convenient arrival/departure point. If you must stay in San Jose proper, then I would ask your hotel about neighborhood safety & areas to avoid. I'd also recommend taking taxis anywhere after dark in San Jose.

Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe part of San Jose Costa Rica

The hotels near the airport seem to be fine, the ones next to the bus stations are in sketchier areas.

The locations in San Jjose that are the "safest" are the areas with the most foot traffic. Either on Central Avenue or Paseo Colone are probably your best choices.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
365 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe part of San Jose Costa Rica

I suggest you to revise the hotels in San José, on Trip Advisor.

You can see people reviews, % of recommandations, etc.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe part of San Jose Costa Rica

I have to agree with MickeyMoose on this one. (I know!)

6. Re: Safe part of San Jose Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 05:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now