We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

Will be in the PV area at the end of December (I hope). Booking agencies (Kayak, Orbitz, Booking.com, etc) show availability, and I book the room online, but when I call the hotel directly to confirm, they say there is no room, and that the third-party bookers aren't accurate re: available rooms.

Any ideas? So far, the only one I'm coming up with is to not go to PV, although that's the place I'm most interested in seeing.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

You've seen www.puertoviejosatellite.com ?

How about anywherecostarica.com/destinations/puerto-vi…

Best to book directly or through a Costa Rican booking agent.

Have you looked at vacation rentals?

Edited: 07 November 2013, 20:19
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

1. Puertoviejosatellite provides many phone numbers. I have already tried lodging that has e-mails. I speak no Spanish, but am using Google Translate as best as I can. I won't have a car, so need to be able to assess how far from a bus route.

So many of the places listed have no reviews anywhere, and I am not comfortable staying someplace totally unknown to me.

2. My planner at AnywhereCostaRica told me none of the hotels they use have an available room.

3. I have checked VRBO and HomeAway.

4. Do you have someone to recommend locally, who could help me find a place? My budget is up to $180 a night. Don't mind staying in a plain place, as long as it's accessible without a car, clean, and not close to bars/party area.

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
425 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

Try contacting Gecko Trail Adventures, they're in Puerto Viejo. Geckotrail.com.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

Hmmmmm.......

When you go to puertoviejosatellite.com, there is a map that shows the location of most of the lodging in the area. This might help you pinpoint the location of a hotel you are interested in.

It's actually pretty easy to get up and down the coast either by the public bus or by taxi for short distances. I stayed in a little place about a mile north of town and if I didn't feel like walking into town, the landlady called a taxi for me and it was very inexpensive. If you ride bikes, that is also very common.

With most of the more popular places already full, you might need to book someplace that is new and doesn't have many reviews. I understand your reluctance!

Have you looked at availability in Cahuita or some of the other small beach towns south of Puerto Viejo?

I'm afraid I am not being much help to you - just trying to make sure you have covered all the bases, but it looks like you have done that.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 20:57
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,032 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

TA133, you have already learned that end of December is the highest of the season in Costa Rica. If wanting to stay in that area, you will need to adopt a "knock on every door" strategy. Most of owners in that area are expats so not speaking Spanish should not be a problem. Do call them; phone calls are cheap today, and you might have much faster reply then via email. One suggestion for a lodging that is close to Punta Uva: Pachamama Jungle Lodge http://www.pachamamacaribe.com/ . They have a new owners and since then, reviews are all back to perfect (I have stayed there in 2008, and the place is perfect for a relaxing holidays).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

Hi Xelas,

I'm starting to feel like my own little travel agent; already tried Pachamama: booked. Will go down the list of PVsatellite, but still concerned about booking a place that has no reviews anywhere.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

If it has lots of positive reviews, it's probably already booked at this late date. You want to try and find a place not in all the guidebooks or a new inn. I second the advice to go to Gecko Trail Adventures, based in Puerto Viejo and ask them to find you something, just be clear what your criteria are. Remember that AC and swimming pools are rare in this area.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

I was unclear: Pachamama has many good reviews- it's the other places, that don't show up on the radar of Gecko Trails, AnywhereCR, that have no reviews.

Gecko Trails and AnywhereCR have both told me every place they know of has no vacancy. I spent four hours today trying to find lodging. I'll start another posting, because I think I need to throw in the towel, and find a different beach town with more lodging.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

Did you try Almonds and Corals in manzanillo to the south? It is a very unique property in a stunning setting. Why not check it out.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't Find Lodging Near Puerto Viejo. Ideas?

Have you looked at vrbo.com? That is where I found Toucanstay in Punta Uva. Nice place with king sized comfy beds, ac, clean bathroom with lots of hot water, kitchenette. Literally steps to the beach. Pulperia across the street. Bus passes by for PV and Manzanillo. Comp bikes etc. VRBO often has avail when hotels don't. Good Luck with your planning. That same time of yr we are going to Dominical on the Pacific, try there for lodging if you need an alternative.