We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for mom and son?

Dallas
1 post
Save Topic
Itinerary for mom and son?

Thinking about Costa Rica over spring break with just my 11 year old son. I'm looking for itinerary suggestions and whether it is safe for just the two of us.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for mom and son?

You will find the people very friendly and as safe as most parts of Dallas. My wife runs by herself many times around our area and feels safer here than in many places she has run in North America. Your son will love all the creatures he will see and all the things there are to do. A great educational destination with lots of exciting activities to choose from. We have a Surf School here in Dominical that specializes in teaching kids and I have photos of a 4 year old (maybe younger) having a blast on a surf board so encourage your son to take a few surf lessons with Dylan at Sunset Surf if you are down this way.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Dominical
Dominical
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for mom and son?

There are many many choices throughout the country and -- as Dave wrote -- you will be perfectly safe.

Do a bit of research to see which areas appeal to you. www.anywherecostarica.com and www.costa-rica-guide.com are both good resources for a general overview of the country.

As a guideline -- figure two locations for one week. Keep in mind that you may need to spend your first/last night somewhere near the airport.

There are two international airports: LIR Liberia and SJO San Jose. Where you go will be somewhat determined by which airport you use -- they are almost 5 hours apart.

LIR Liberia is a smaller airport and easy to get in and out. It's also the closest to beaches -- both Playa Hermosa and Playas del Coco are about 20-30 minutes from the airport.

A good "family" town would be Samara. Great place to learn to surf also. www.samarabeach.com

Mentioned in this post
Liberia Airport
Liberia Airport
Liberia, Costa Rica
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Playa Manuel Antonio
Playa Manuel Antonio
10,684 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Playas del Coco
Playas del Coco
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,316 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
3. Re: Itinerary for mom and son?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:16