We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samara or Nosara?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Samara or Nosara?

We have narrowed down the beach part of our trip to either Nosara or Samara. We are going to be there for 2 nights. We plan to drive there from Arenal and leave out of Liberia. We are looking for a laid back surfer town that has a bit of a night life but not too crazy (and nothing too built up). From what I am reading, Samara might be better but I wanted input from this forum. Any thoughts? (also - any recommendations for places to stay?!)

Thanks!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samara or Nosara?

Well, the most distinct difference between the two towns is essentially that Samara is an actual town - with a town center that houses businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc. When people talk about Nosara, they rarely talk about the actual town, which is, more or less, insignificant in terms of tourism because it is inland. Instead, they usually mean the beaches around Nosara.

This brings with it some other differences:

You can easily walk Samara - it is fairly compact. Nosara is much more spread out and you are much more vehicle-bound.

Samara is paved throughout - Nosara can be a dusty nightmare.

I would not describe Samara as a surfer town - I think Nosara fits the bill better in that respect since Samara's waves are rather small. Still, there are surfers and surf schools around.

Nightlife in either town is fine and neither is too crazy.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samara or Nosara?

"We are looking for a laid back surfer town that has a bit of a night life but not too crazy (and nothing too built up)."

This is Nosara.

If you go to Samara to surf, you might have to drive to Nosara to get waves.

"Not too built up" - Commerce is not allowed within 200 m. of beach in Nosara. There are a few good bars, but when you are on the beach, it's the beach. Not a bunch of restaurants.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samara or Nosara?

If you want to surf, go to Nosara, otherwise I would pick Samara.

4. Re: Samara or Nosara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:16