We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica: Family Adventure & Beach Spring Break?

chagrin falls
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Costa Rica: Family Adventure & Beach Spring Break?

Looking into Costa Rica for family ( mom, dad, 16 &14 year old) for a 1 week spring break trip. We love to travel especially to great beaches for swimming. snorkeling, surfing and fishing. Also for exploring/ adventure, culture, wildlife and hiking. Guessing we'll rent a car for day trips.

Dislike mega commercial resorts and areas. Want something more meduim or smaller. Important: My husband is concerned that the beaches have brown sand which he dispises...Is that so?

We went to Ambergris Caye in Belize a couple years ago and loved it!! Tempted to return but there's just so much more of the world to see. We're also open to other area suggestions ...not just Costa Rica. Would sincerely appreciate guidance, suggestions or advice!!

Thank You :)

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Witch s Rock Surf Camp
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Pablo Surf School
Real Experiences Costa Rica
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica: Family Adventure & Beach Spring Break?

Costa Rica is much more famous for its nature&wildlife then for its beaches&colonial and pre-colombian artifacts. Their beaches vary in color between dark beige and very dark grey, thus the color of the ocean is rarely turquoise.

If swimming and snorkeling is on top of your agenda, then you will be better off at one of the Caribbean islands, maybe Roatan in Honduras or similar. For exploring on your own, having beautiful pristine rain forest and colorful wildlife at your fingertips, then head to Costa Rica.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica: Family Adventure & Beach Spring Break?

Many of the beaches have the brown volcanic sand on the Pacific Coast as compared to places that have sugar white sand like the coastline 50 miles either side of Destin, Florida which is an area I know well. When I first came down here, I was put off by the color of the beaches but what I discovered is that within a 15 mile stretch of the ocean, I had my choice of beaches with palm-lined miles of nothing but sand (and no people), beaches that have secret entrances seldom shared with others, ones with hermit crabs almost every step along the way, beaches with caves I could explore that went into the surf, beaches with scenic rock out cropping you could climb up and look up and down the coast, , beaches that were fun to play in the water or the rivers that enter the ocean and even one I could walk out perpendicular into the ocean a long way at low tide (Whales Tail). Unlike Destin where the beach looks exactly the same for miles and miles (with the exception of the high rises that they have built on the beach) it is all the same, pretty but the same. Here the coast is diverse and has much more character. Plus the beaches around here are better for running on because they are not so soft and because we have a good tide variance, at low tide you can find a deserted beach and hit hundreds of golf balls back and forth. I eventually realized that the color of the beach was insignificant due to the beauty around it.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
3. Re: Costa Rica: Family Adventure & Beach Spring Break?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 05:18