We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning itinerary (La Fortuna/Monteverde/Nicoya/Tamarindo)

4 posts
Save Topic
Planning itinerary (La Fortuna/Monteverde/Nicoya/Tamarindo)

Hello!

My husband and I are traveling to Costa Rica during the holiday season for 2 weeks and would love to get some pointers on things to do. We are in our early 30s, fit/active and are looking to have a mixture of adventure and relaxation on the trip. We are on a flexible budget but would rather stay frugal if/when possible. We have some things planned but would love to get opinions from others who've been or live here.

We'll be flying into Liberia and renting a 4x4 for the entire trip. Our first stop is La Fortuna for a few nights. We plan on doing the Cerro Chato hike, visit the hanging bridges, relax at the Tabacon hot springs (the free one, not the resort) and anything else that the area may offer.

After La Fortuna, we plan on driving over to Monteverde for another few nights. We want to do more hiking and site seeing and perhaps a coffee or chocolate tour? We would love to get some pointers on this region as well. Also, would three nights be too much here, as I assume it'll be similar activities as our first few days in La Fortuna?

From Monteverde, we are thinking of driving to Nicoya or any other town that will eventually lead us to Tamarindo. We are flexible at this time of the trip so any pointers on things to do in Nicoya, or other towns in that region that will eventually lead us to Tamarindo would be appreciated! Once we reach Tamarindo, we plan to be at the beach the majority of the time surfing/relaxing.

The husband also wants to do some snorkeling, can somebody recommend a good area to visit for this activity that's within our route?

Thanks very much in advance!

-Bea

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Liberia
Liberia
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Tabacon Hot Springs
Tabacon Hot Springs
4,074 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Nicoya
Nicoya
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,292 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning itinerary (La Fortuna/Monteverde/Nicoya/Tamarindo)

You have done a nice itinerary. In Arenal, go to Arenal Observatory Lodge and hike trails there, plenty of wildlife. In Monteverde do the San Luis waterfall hike. Three nights is good.

Nicoya in adventure way: from Monteverde drive to Puntarenas, take the ferry and stay in Montezuma for 2 nights. Continue along the coast passing Mal Pais, Santa Teresa and stop for a night or two in Samara. From there to your final destination in Tamarindo. Snorkeling, just don't bother with looking for it.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
San Luis Waterfall
San Luis Waterfall
127 Reviews
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
Nicoya
Nicoya
Montezuma
Montezuma
Mal Pais
Mal Pais
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,302 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning itinerary (La Fortuna/Monteverde/Nicoya/Tamarindo)

Thanks xelas.

Too bad about the snorkeling though. Where in CR would there actually be good snorkeling then?

-B

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning itinerary (La Fortuna/Monteverde/Nicoya/Tamarindo)

Great snorkeling around Caño Island...you can check Tiki Villas around Uvita...great place and from there you can go the island...

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Uvita
Uvita
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,292 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning itinerary (La Fortuna/Monteverde/Nicoya/Tamarindo)

Probably only decent place is on the south Caribbean side. Cano Island is far south on Pacific side, and more like a great diving destination. Check out also Tortuga Island, on Nicoya peninsula. A day tours are done from Montezuma.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Cano Island
Cano Island
852 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Tortuga Island
Tortuga Island
841 Reviews
Punta Arenas, Costa Rica
Nicoya
Nicoya
Montezuma
Montezuma
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning itinerary (La Fortuna/Monteverde/Nicoya/Tamarindo)

I was reading about the San Luis waterfall hike and was wondering if it's safe to do? I was reading that it was closed earlier this year, is it okay now?

Mentioned in this post
San Luis Waterfall
San Luis Waterfall
127 Reviews
London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning itinerary (La Fortuna/Monteverde/Nicoya/Tamarindo)

Hi Beatrice, do you mean San Luis waterfall in Montederde? If so, here is my review:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

We absolutely loved it, was a really good fun hike, not too long or particularly strenuous (you can see from my pic I'm hardly a model of athleticism!) and very beautiful. Going in November we had some light rain and, whilst it wasn't cold exactly, it wasn't warm enough to justify a dip in the pool which was a pity.

Mentioned in this post
San Luis Waterfall
San Luis Waterfall
127 Reviews
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning itinerary (La Fortuna/Monteverde/Nicoya/Tamarindo)

@DavidE171 - thanks for your response. And yes, that is the same hike I was referring to (in Monteverde).

I noticed a few recent reviews from March 2013 - August 203 saying it was dangerous. Was wondering if that was still the case. Hopefully it's safe now, it sounds amazing!

-B

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
8. Re: Planning itinerary (La Fortuna/Monteverde/Nicoya/Tamarindo)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:17