We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking transfers

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
154 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Booking transfers

HI TA -

Solidifying my transfers for the trip - should I wait till I get to Arenal to book a transfer to Monteverde using the TAXI-BOAT-TAXI route? Are there companies that readily take tourists across on a hourly basis? Or do I need to book in advance?

I do have a set date I need to be at Monteverde. I'm scoping out Desafio's deal for $32 bucks for the trip per person. Is there a better deal out there?

Thanks in advance. Just scoping out my options!

Bushmaster Adventures Costa Rica
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Manakin Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Central American Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,090 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking transfers

You can wait until you are in Arenal and book the boat jeep boat transfer....DESAFIO nice local people to book with....

They can offer a private transfer BUT of course it will be a lot more money per person!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking transfers

Once you are in the Arenal area, just have your lodging book the taxi-boat-taxi for you. Ask them the price. Many agencies book this transfer so there might be some variation in price - but not much. You can book the taxi-boat-taxi through AnywhereCosta Rica for $25 -- but there are others that do the booking also.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking transfers

I just got back on Friday and I had prebooked my shuttles, mostly by my hotels, but could have done It just as easy and cheaper when I was in Arenal. Everyone wants to sell you the package in La Fortuna. It's very easy to do. Mind you, Nov is a bit off season. I paid $25 per person but was offered a deal on the street for $20 pp. In peak season, it might be good to prebook but don't pay more than $25.00.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,090 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking transfers

If you pay $ 25.00 by a company that is not even in Costa Rica with a nice web site...maybe better to deal with a local company once you are in Arenal...ask for deals maybe you find one...gurntee no ...possible yes!

Regular price as today $ 32.00 per person...if you get a quote of $ 25.00 be extra carefull..somenthing fishy...but if you deal direct with the people at the office is totally different...!

I just call a friend in La Fortuna some people and some big tour operators not even in Costa Rica they offer the service for $ 25.00 hey pay $ 20.00 at the operator...but the boats are terrible and the same with the land vehicles...in two word YES you can pay $ 25,00 with a hyigh risk for your life!

roadadvisor

Edited: 03 December 2013, 18:57
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking transfers

Thanks guys! I think I will wait and book once I get to Arenal.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,090 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking transfers

Great idea...avoid fancy web sites...and deal with real people once in Arenal...in your case better to see a real person than trusting a web site that most of the time the designers...they have no idea how even to Spell Arenal...and they subcontrat cheap serives ato look good ...in simple English they buy cheap services and sell expensive...they can care less for quality they care for money and volume!

roadadvisor

7. Re: Booking transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 06:18