We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me plan our trip to Costa Rica

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me plan our trip to Costa Rica

Please advise... We need help planning our itinerary for our Costa Rica trip in January - 8 nights, 9 days. We fly into San Jose and fly out from Liberia.

We plan on renting a car and driving from San Jose to Siquirres to Jaco to Guancaste and possibly Arenal (5 hour drive?!!)

1.) 2 days, overnight rafting trip with Rios Tropicales in Siquirres

2.) 3 nights in Jaco (surf & nightlife) and tour Manuel Antonio - zipline & hikes.

3.) drive to Guancaste, stay 3 nights (undecided location, maybe Tamarindo Beach or Coco Beach? We want sunsets, surf, scuba, yoga, nightlife) If possible, a day trip or overnight in Arenal area (hot springs, hiking, scenic views)

Questions:

- Is it too far to drive from Guanacaste to Arenal in one day? Should we stay overnight Arenal? Arenal hotel/lodge recommendations?

- Any hotel/lodge recommendations for our first night stay before our rafting trip - we will be driving from San Jose to Siquirres, so anything along the way?

- Where should we stay in Guanacaste? We want sunsets, scuba, yoga and some fun nightlife.

Thank you!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me plan our trip to Costa Rica

You really can't ask "How far is it from Arenal to Guanacaste?" Guanacaste is a big province so it can vary quite a bit.

And no, an "overnight in the Arenal area" doesn't make much sense.

I think you need to make some choices: Rafting, Jaco and Arenal -- or

Rafting, Arenal and one of the Guanacaste beaches.

That would make more sense. Either Playas del Coco or Playa Hermosa are 20-30 minutes from LIR airport so that would be my first choice. Of course, there are others not too much farther away - Flamingo, Conchal, et al. for instance.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 19:23
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me plan our trip to Costa Rica

So do you think Arenal is a must? Otherwise we could do Rafting, Jaco and Guanacaste.

Thanks for the advice!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me plan our trip to Costa Rica

Only you can decide whether Arenal is a "must." Take a look here: http://www.arenal.net/arenal-volcano-tour.htm or check with www.fortunawelcome.com There's a TON of stuff to do in that area. For me, I would eliminate Jaco in a heartbeat and substitute Arenal and one of the Guanacaste beaches.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me plan our trip to Costa Rica

We loved Arenal. You might find similar nightlife and surfing in Tamarindo as in Jaco and it is closer to your departure airport. You can do forest tours and ziplining in the arenal area as well as hot springs.

5. Re: Please help me plan our trip to Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:17