We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less strenuous Arenal activities?

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Less strenuous Arenal activities?

Hi folks

Back to Costa Rica this Xmas (CAN.NOT.WAIT) and am looking for stuff to do with Mum & Dad. They're both in mid-60s and, whilst relatively fit for their age (mum especially) they're no spring chickens!

When last in the area I did the SkyWalk+ hanging bridges hike and loved it but, as a hefty unfit guy, it wasn't the easiest hike and I'm a little concerned that, with the heat, my folks might struggle.

Therefore does anyone have any suggestions of mildly-strenuous (they love a good walk...) activities we could get up to?

We arrive on Monday 30th December and leave Friday 3rd January, staying at Nayara.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less strenuous Arenal activities?

Consider some boating excursions. There a nifty Twilight Float trip that should work well as well as boating on Lake Arenal, and, of course fishing. The Cano Negro venture is by boat - although it's a long day because of the travel involve.

Check out Proyecto Asis - if they are animal lovers at all, they will love it. You can volunteer for half a day and prepare and feed the animals there or just visit for a close-up look at them all.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,147 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less strenuous Arenal activities?

The hikes in Arenal Volcano National Park are not strenuous; you should skip the Old lava flow trek, or just do it till it reaches the flow. Boat tour on Lake Arenal was relaxing, with a good captain also interesting. And the best less strenuous activity: a late afternoon visit to Eco Termales. But you already knew about this one, surely.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less strenuous Arenal activities?

Mid 60's!! Take them rafting, ziplining, rapelling........

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less strenuous Arenal activities?

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Dad's very unadventurous but loves a good walk and a bit of nature (bird watching particularly), mum's a little more adventurous but SkyTrek, for example, would be too much for her. If there were some slightly more sedate (i.e. not as long or fast) lines then I'd could probably convince her...... :-)

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less strenuous Arenal activities?

I read about a chocolate tour in Arenal they recently started doing, does the family like that sort of thing? http://www.rainforestchocolatetour.com/ I have not done it but it looks interesting. Eating chocolate is pretty low impact.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Less strenuous Arenal activities?

The trail at Arenal Hanging Bridges is fairly gentle. The Safari Float on the Penas Blancas would be good and is a much shorter trip than Cano Negro. Finca Luna Nueva has several different trail options, some of which are very mellow.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Less strenuous Arenal activities?

The boat trip at Cano Negro makes for a lovely day. The trip we did stopped at a bar part way into the drive where there were lots of iguanas to see. We were on the boat for about 1 1/2 hours or so and the guide was terrific at pointing out birds and wlld life. A tasty lunch was included. I think we used Canoa Adventures.

Michigan
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Less strenuous Arenal activities?

I think the Cano Negro boat tour is a great intro to CR. The drive is beautiful , passing many pineapple plantations and yes, a stop at the iguana bridge is a must see. We did not eat at this stop but they have a juice /smoothie bar and the empanadas looked very yummy.

We also did the Arenal hanging bridges (they will get a "senior discount") and were fortunate to see a baby sloth and mama fairly close. The bridges are cool and put you quite high . I think the hike would be moderate for those not accustomed to that sort of thing, easier if you are a more active type.

Ecotermales or another hot spring, of course.We really enjoyed the hotsprings at Ecotermales but would pass on the dinner.

We ate at Navilla (Naville ??), big cow statue out front, locally owned and had a fresh and tastefully prepared dinner. From Nayara you would turn right at the main road , about 5 mins. from there, on the right side.

I also think some time spent in La Fortuna. The town square is beautifully landscaped and with the church offers a beautiful photo opt as long as Arenal cooperates and is in full view. Lots of eating options there too.

Have fun, I hope they enjoy it as much as you have . It is a wonderful country and we are already planning a 3rd trip !

Cardiff CA
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Less strenuous Arenal activities?

Coffee plantation tour??

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,147 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Less strenuous Arenal activities?

It took me a day to remember the name but here it is: there is a guide in La Fortuna named Giovanni (Geovanni) who is making his own natural reserve with hiking trails. Might be worth to try him. http://www.fortunaguide.blogspot.com/ .