We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Walmart by Airport

Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Walmart by Airport

I read in another post that there is a new WalMart by the airport.

Would it be a good idea to purchase beach chairs and a few umbrellas there to save on renting them at the beach in Manuel Antonio? How much are the rentals at Playa Espadilla?

Are the beer prices at this Walmart good? Would it be a good idea to stock up on beer here, instead of buying it in Manuel Antonio?

NOTE: I prefer to support the local economy, by buying local and from small businesses, but I can make an exception for a one time beer purchase and beach chairs. We will be spending plenty of money locally in Manuel Antonio, buying more beer, etc, so PLEASE don't let this turn into a moral, economic debate :) It's just a question...

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Walmart by Airport

We rented chairs and umbrellas whenever we wanted them at Manuel Antonio. It was about $10 for 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella. They brought us beers when we wanted them. The bonuses to renting was not having to carry chairs (I don't know where you are staying, but very few places are right on the beach, and if you are staying at a place right on the beach, I would bet they already have chairs), and having someone to watch our stuff when we went for a swim. We rented from Maria, right near Dante's, and prices were negotiated. As far as beer, we bought some at stores in MA and Quepos, they weren't that expensive, I don't know how much you would save by shopping at Walmart.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 18:09
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New Walmart by Airport

Thanks for the helpful response! It is good that by renting the chairs, you have someone to watch your stuff.

I was also thinking about when we are on the beaches INSIDE the park, and there are no rentals. It would be nice to have beach chairs, instead of towels in the sand. (Do they ALLOW people to bring beach chairs in the park?)

We are staying at a house up on the hill, but we will have a van rental and will keep the chairs in the van, so it would only be a matter of carrying them from our parking space to the beach.

From what I have read, beer is a bit pricey at the local stores in Manuel Antonio... so I was thinking that Walmart might be cheaper to stock up on for the house. I am talking about buying 10+ cases of beer...

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Walmart by Airport

10+ cases of beer means you will save $40-$50 shopping at walmart over a supermarket in Quepos if nothing is on sale, more over the smaller local stores and unless the smaller stores are pushing the bootlegged beer from Panama. Usually something is on sale.

Usually the cheapest beer in Walmart are cans imported from Europe, Brazil, or the US. ( I am not a fan of the cheaper European Beers sold).

Regarding beach chairs, I have no recollection of anybody telling anyone at MA not to bring anything in. I also found out accidentally, if you enter the park through the exit on the beach, they do not charge you.

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Walmart by Airport

I saw people carrying full size coolers to the park beaches so I'm sure you can take chairs. It's a 15 minute walk from the entrance to the beaches, fyi.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Walmart by Airport

OF COURSE any body can take beach chairs...any time...anywhere!

roadadvisor

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Walmart by Airport

In Quepos you'll find Pali and Maxi Pali which are both a division of WalMart. Mas X Menos (which is in Jaco Beach) is also a division of WalMart and their countrywide beer sale right now is 8 pack 4,880 colones, 12 pack 7200 colones for national beer of Imperial, Silver and Pilsen. Based on that, I would expect the pricing to be very similar to the WalMart in SJ. Beach chairs/umbrellas will be more expensive than the states and coolers are also almost painfully expensive. I have a collapsing cooler that I use as my flight carry on which holds purse, book, camera etc. then doubles for it's real purpose at the beach! Something to consider anyway! PS: In MA, there is a Super Joseth which is privately owned. Pricing is obviously higher than the WalMart chain, FYI

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Walmart by Airport

What is up with the cooler prices in Costa Rica? They are SO overpriced, I can't believe it. I took a picture once because it was so cRaZy high in price. That was at big stores like Mas X Menos, not a tiny ship next to the beach.

Gary

Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New Walmart by Airport

Anyone want to open up a cooler making factory in Costa Rica?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Walmart by Airport

I just bought a styrofoam cooler for around $5 -- 2500 colones. It's 12" by 12" by 17" more or less. So why would you buy an expensive plastic insulated cooler when you can buy this for your vacation needs? Look in a large supermarket. I bought this locally in my town of about 3000 population.

Plus - some rental car agencies will provide you with a cooler to use.

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Walmart by Airport

You could ask and see if there is a cooler and beach chairs at your house to use. About half the places I've rented from have had one or both.