We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
906 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

I won't be driving in CR. Any benefit to bringing my driver's license with me? I'd like to minimize the number of things I need to keep track of while on vacation.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

I like to have spare ID in case I lose my passport.

Gary

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,265 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

A copy of a passport (laminated) will be of better use then driving license.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

No need to bring your driver's license if you are sure you are definitely not going to drive in Costa Rica.

Having a copy of your passport is a good idea, for many reasons, and laminating just keeps it "clean." If you are "out and about" you can carry the copy of your passport and also make a copy of the page where your entry was stamped and carry these instead of your passport.

And yes, a passport is a better ID than a driver's license.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
906 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

I suppose there are places like Kinkos/FedEx where I can make a copy of my passport after it's been stamped...?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

There are copy shops all over Costa Rica. (Don't look for Kinko's or FedEx) Look for "Libreria" or "Copias." Also, your lodging may be able to make a copy for you or at least direct you to the nearest copy place.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,278 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

Use you camera or phone to take a photo of the page.

I actually carry a scanned copy of my passport as well as of every card in my wallet or other important document in my phone. The documents are obviously password protected. I also carry on the phone the pdf version of my credit card travel insurance coverage. Useful when something bad happens on the road.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

That's a great idea, Jean-Pierre - I do something similar. But if someone in authority asks to see your passport and you don't have it, I'm not sure showing them the copy on your smartphone would be good enough. They usually want to see either the passport or a paper copy.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

I would bring a state issued ID or driver's license with you. Some shops, restaurants will ask for an ID when using your credit card. Once they see a foreign issued VISA, MC, etc. they will want to see a valid form of ID and I'm not sure a photocopy of a passport will always be acceptable.

Edit: I would also want something else in case of loss or theft of a passport.

Edited: 21 December 2013, 19:18
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

Well, yes, a photocopy of a passport would be fine. Anything that has your name and photo so they can match everything and make sure the person using the card is actually you.

And a lot of shops ask for ID if you use a credit card no matter where it comes from.

As far as "loss or theft of a passport" - if you have the copy, it will make your life so much simpler! When my passport was stolen in the Miami airport, I had to go to the passport office there and get an emergency passport so I could fly back home here in Costa Rica. It took all day, but I was lucky to be in a city where there was a passport office! Luckily, I had written down the number - but showing them a copy of your passport will make life a lot simpler if you have to get a new one. And, by the way, it's almost impossible to get a passport from the US Embassy in Costa Rica in less than 2 weeks so be really really careful with your passport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Need to Bring Driver's License?

Thank you Httie..

roadadvisor