We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ditch San Jose and go to Arenal instead?

Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ditch San Jose and go to Arenal instead?

Ok so we're booked on a 'package deal' type tour for later this year. This includes 2 nights in San Jose (we arrive late on the first night), 2 nights in Monteverde, 2 nights in Ricon De La Vieja then the last 3/4 nights in Tamarindo. On the trip we have included; a city tour in San Jose, hanging bridges walk in Monteverde and a choice of Canyon Canopy Zip Lines, Horseback riding or Rio Negro River Tubing in Ricon De La Vieja. ( even though I would like to do all three!)

I have already thought about booking a boat and snorkelling trip when we get to Tamarindo but what other activites would be suggest are a 'must do'?

One thing I'm very disappointed about us that it does not include Arenal and as I've read a lot of reviews saying there's not a great deal to see in San Jose, I wondered if it's worth leaving the tour to head up there for the first 2 nights then rejoining the rest of the tour after? What is everyone's opinions on this? I am mainly there to see the nature side of things and do more adventurous activites too!

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
891 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Pelicano SportFishing & Water Sports
Water Sports, Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours
ConnectOcean
Scuba & Snorkeling
Esperanza Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ditch San Jose and go to Arenal instead?

For nature and adventure, definitely ditch San Jose and go to Arenal. It has everything. Look here for more information: www.arenal.net and here: www.fortunawelcome.com

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
891 Reviews
San Jose
San Jose
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ditch San Jose and go to Arenal instead?

Agree with Hattie, ditch and go. Contact Desafio up that way, most of the tours listed on Arenal.net are booked through Desafio anyway - http://www.desafiocostarica.com/

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,351 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ditch San Jose and go to Arenal instead?

If you're into rivers and adventure, why not do a whitewater rafting tour of the Pacuare on your full day in San Jose? The rainforest gorgeousness on the Pacuare will exceed anything you see in Arenal. Not that Arenal doesn't have some lovely rainforest areas, but the Pacuare is unbelievable.

Just about every reputable rafting operator will pick you up in San Jose.

Mentioned in this post
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
587 Reviews
Pacuare River, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
891 Reviews
San Jose
San Jose
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,523 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ditch San Jose and go to Arenal instead?

Great idea by racandee. Many visitors have to spend the 1st night in San Jose or Alajuela near the airport anyway because their flights arrive too late to make it to Arenal that 1st day. Yes you could go on to Arenal on the morning of day 2 for a one-night stay, but it might be far more fun to spend that day on the Pacuare whitewater rafting. Gorgeous river canyon and the best whitewater in Costa Rica.

Mentioned in this post
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
587 Reviews
Pacuare River, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
891 Reviews
San Jose
San Jose
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
5. Re: Ditch San Jose and go to Arenal instead?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:18